• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rods with multiple tips

John Newman

What is the view of the panel on rods with multiple tips?

I don't find I need a quiver tip where I fish to the extent that a lot of the barbel bites I get merely require me to pick the rod up very quickly before it goes in the river!

I can see you advantage of having a twin tip e.g. 1.5lb & 1.75lb TC but does that not change the characteristics of the rod too much.

Opinions welcomed.

PS just realised I posted in the wrong section - can a moderator move it please - apologies

Last edited:
I have three multi tip barbel rods, and the one I would never part with is the Drennan Power, it really is a nice rod, either top seems to compliment the but section, and there seems to be no compromise in the action, although a purist might argue that point.

However I find a lighter tip quiver to be useful with such conditions we have at the moment, and will detect not just a take but other little knocks and rattles that give a better picture of whats happening at the business end. Also I often change to a maggot feeder and with such a set up I don't feel over gunned. and if you fancy a bit of up-streaming a quiver is essential.

I guess I prefer fishing with a tip, for as mentioned those little messages received that would otherwise be lost.

I've found on multi tip rods that I only ever use 1 tip. So have given up buying them now preferring rods with single tips.

I have six! 2 1.5lb Avon twin tops and 4 1.75's love them - makes for a much more versatile set up. I keep them set up constantly often tinkering around with different combinations lines etc - but I rarely take more than 2 out with me in a single visit.

I get an immense amount of pleasure tinkering with my set ups when the missus falls asleep on the sofa!

ok, can see that especially if using lighter leads. When upstreaming I tend to use a heavier lead and tighten up to it, same principal and ensures fish hooks itself.

ok, can see that especially if using lighter leads. When upstreaming I tend to use a heavier lead and tighten up to it, same principal and ensures fish hooks itself.

It's an odd technique to get used too, especially when the first instincts is to cast down stream, as to why up streaming can get a bite when all else fails is a mystery for me, it doesn't seem feasible, especially in that the main line can be more visible, but a longer hook length can counter this I guess.

Fishing don't you just love it :)

I can see you advantage of having a twin tip e.g. 1.5lb & 1.75lb TC but does that not change the characteristics of the rod too much.

Same here rods with quivers are a waste of time in my eyes but if u get a stronger tip for heavier casting and it fits the blank then that is fine but id prefer to keep it simple as possible!

Back