• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rods on planes

Steve Double

I'm planning on taking my lure rod to South Africa to have a go at the large-mouth bass in the numerous farm dams while on holiday.

Anybody know what BA's policy is on rods re luggage allowance? I've bought a tube specifically for the purpose, and I know they can't go as hand luggage? But will I get stung for excess/extra luggage even though it will be barely a kilo?

Ta.

Actually, just found the answer to my own question.

It's going to cost me 55 quid for a rod that only cost me £30. Hmmmm.

Time to tell the missus she doesn't really need any luggage of her own.:cool:

I know you have found your answer but you may be interested in an experience I had earlier this year. My very strong advice is DON'T BOTHER!

I wrote this for the website of my fishing Society, enjoy.

24th JUNE 2013, GULET HOLIDAY IN TURKEY
By special request I have recorded my fishing-related story from our holiday.
I had bought a 4-piece rod for the trip, which broke down to less than 3ft when in a tube. On arrival at the East Midlands Airport check-in desk I was told that it could probably go on as hand luggage. The check-in girl was very helpful making 3 phone calls, including to security, coming back with the answer that it could go in the overhead locker. Knowing what it is like to be behind someone like me in a queue, I apologised to the next in line and we made our way to security. We had loads of time to have a 5 course meal, spend time in Duty Free and read a novel, as Glenda always like to be early!

Hand luggage was put onto the conveyor and into the X-ray tunnel. All coins, watches, belts etc. were removed and placed on the tray provided and through the scanner I go, holding up trousers to stop them from dropping to the ankles. No problem there. Before I had time to gather my wallet, strap on the watch and secure the slacks, a chap in uniform pointed to the tube and said, ‘What’s that sir?’ Refraining from telling him that it was a ground to air missile launcher, as I know that can land you in trouble, I replied, ‘A fishing rod.’ I followed up with, ‘It’s OK because Security have given it the all clear.’ ‘I’ll have to ask my boss,’ he said.

Along came boss man with even more braid on his uniform and informed me curtly, but politely, ‘You can’t take that in the cabin sir.’ I related the story of the check-in and the phone call giving it the all clear by security, but to no avail. ‘I can show it to you in writing sir,’ and at that point I gave up the struggle. By now I could feel many eyes on me, probably some from people who had been behind us in the check-in queue. Wanting it to be all over I said, ‘OK, can you put it in the hold for me, please?’ Boss man replied, ‘You will have to check it in sir!’

I walked back through security, the wrong way, and the chap who had let be though 5 minutes earlier said, ‘Sir, where do you think you are going?’ So I related the story to him and he let me through. Clutching the tube I get back to the check-in area. By now the passengers who had arrived a sensible time before departure had arrived and the queues were now twice as long as before and I was at the back. Despite holding the tube up like a periscope to attract the check-in girl’s attention I still had to wait my turn. The lovely lady was apologetic and I reassured her that it was not her fault that Mr Jobs Worth had stopped me. She fluttered her eye lashes and asked me to, ‘Take it down there to the large luggage check-in.’ I complied, although in hindsight it was smaller than a suitcase.

At the appointed desk a rather large butch lady asked, ‘What is in there, sir?’ ‘Oh hell, here we go again,’ I thought but calmly replied, ‘It’s a fishing rod.’ ‘Could you open it up please sir?’ Although appearing tranquil, I was really getting agitated and struggled to pick off the plastic tape while Rosa Klebb made no attempt to assist me. I finally opened the tube, took out the bubble wrap, removed the zip up case and finally the 2 polythene bags each holding 2 sections. She looked at it and said, ‘Oh, it’s a fishing rod.’ Bless her I thought, she is only doing her job!

Now free to go back through security, it is off again with the watch and belt and at the back of the queue again to go through the X-ray and beyond. In the distance I could see Glenda waiting very patiently, as she had been for the last hour or so, clutching what remained of our hand luggage. We just had time for a quick sandwich before we were called for embarkation and the start of our Aegean gulet holiday in Turkey.

There were 16 of us on the boat, 13 women and just 3 chaps. Despite that, (whatever do you mean, Bob?) I set up a rod and tried all sorts of lures but saw nothing big enough to show any interest. I even tried trolling, popping a lure on the surface in the hope of a tuna, but got nothing apart from a twisted line. The 18 year-old deckhand probably spent more time than I did and he never caught, despite his local knowledge. After a few days I put on a float and baited a size 8 hook with bread, or the bright pink Turkish equivalent of Spam. There were fish close to the boat, but they were all too small to get the hook in their mouths.

On the last but one day of the cruise I broke down the rod and gave it to the friendly deckhand who we called Alp as he was a big lump of kid. He was very grateful and I was glad to rid myself of the pesky thing, as I dreaded the reverse trip through Turkish check-in.

As a footnote to the saga, on the last day the fish round the boat were larger and by now I was without the rod. Another passenger wanted a fish so I wrapped a length of mono around a bottle for him and tied on a hook. He caught 6 fish. Whoever said that life was fair?

Last edited:
Steve, get a good quality carbon telescopic which will fit in one of your cases, much easier

Thanks, Bob and Ian. I might just get myself a cheap one while I'm out there and leave it behind.

Typically, BA's website lists guidance from everything from guns to surfboards to snowboards, everything but the stuff that fuels Britain's biggest participant sport.

I had to repeat the words "fishing rod" four times to the lady in the call centre. If I'd said "electricity pylon" or "yacht mast" I think I'd have got more understanding.

British Airways will charge you both ways, for a rod tube,you get a discount if you pay for the extra bagage online.If you fly first or business class your rods go for free(2 bags per person).What we do is buy the biggest rod tube,a buzzuka or kiss tube and fill it to the brim with rods and leads,lures etc.That's when i go on a fishing holiday.If i was just wanting to use a rod whilst on holiday with the wife i have solid plastic samsonite cases and i usually put a couple of travel 4 piece rods,inside.I carry the reels in the hand luggage.You can buy 4 piece travel rods on ebay very reasonably that will fit inside the case,just check the size.

If you use soft bags,try a cricket kitbag,they are just that bit longer than most cases, and I manage to get a couple of rods in mine,in a tube to protect them, I have Shimano Exages and they would probably fit the bill, I have landed sharks on my Exages, so Billy Large Mouth Bass would be easy.

Dave

I always take a rod in a tube on holiday and have NEVER been charged any excess either way, destinations include Mauritius, India, Cuba, and most of the Caribbean on various airlines including traveling economy, you just have to take it to "Oversize Luggage"
Dave

David are you flying BA,like Steve is ?, if you are then i would love to know how you get away with it,you might be able to save me some cash. BA brought this charging policy in about 4 years ago and as i do a couple of fishing hols every year i feel like they are just screwing me for extra cash

Mark, Never used BA ! This year used Emirates and Thomson, previous years have mainly been the likes of Thomas Cook ,Virgin etc what I normally do is tell them at the check in I've never been charged before if they try to charge me, but as long as I'm not over weight they stick a label on it and tell me to take it to over size luggage - maybe I've been lucky over the last 7 years twice a year !
Dave

I went to Cuba flying with air france. The cost of putting a rod on the plane was more than the cost of buying a decent travel rod that fitted into a suitcase. No brainer for me.

Steve

All been a bit of a cock up by me so far. Spent £23 on a rod tube I'm now not going to use plus £39 on a folding landing net and handle that I thought would fit in my biggest suitcase but doesn't. And run out of time to get a telescopic rod, which would have solved all the problems in the first place.

On the bright side, I'm keeping our ailing tackle industry in business.

Steve,

I too have travelled with fishing gear on many occasions and even travel with a two rod set up for carp including alarms etc but use travel rods in tubes which pack into my hold luggage and have never had a problem.

In my experience carrying anything that might arouse suspicion in hand luggage is always going to end in tears and frustration.

Telescopic or multi-section rods in suitcase no problem. Do NOT put reels in hand luggage with line on, could be construed as a weapon (garotte!), also fishing pliers and forceps are considered to be tools/weapons so will be confiscated from your hand luggage, OK in suitcase though.

On recent holiday on the way out of English customs (after going through the x-ray search without issue with a 3 piece Daiwa global popper rod and lure rod,in one tube). I was stopped by the last output end customs officer--after 3 on the input end said the rods were Ok. He called his supervisor who then said 'No rods are now allowed on-board planes leaving Britain and showed me the latest paperwork dated may 2016.She went on to also explain that even a tennis Racquet was not allowed onboard (though she would allow 2 reel's full of 100lb braid through)because the paperwork did not say otherwise. I had to book the rods in as hold luggage.On the return journey from Costa rica I had no issues taking the rods onboard, what stupid standards we have.

Back