• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod valuation

David Robson

Can any one please help with the valuation of one of my rods please as i'm thinking of putting it up for sale? The rod is a Free Spirit Spirit Barbel 12ft 2.25lb TC and has been used once. I bought it originally to cast heavier feeders but i haven't really bother because of the size of rivers i now fish.

Thanks
Dave

Free spirit have done several barbel rods in 2.25 test curves ranging from just over £100 to £400 when new

They all hold their money quite well but without knowing the specific model it’s impossible to value

Free spirit have done several barbel rods in 2.25 test curves ranging from just over £100 to £400 when new

They all hold their money quite well but without knowing the specific model it’s impossible to value
The fs spirit barbel is the e class barbel rod I believe, terrible name I should say. I don’t remember the exact price, but should be around 150-170?

The fs spirit barbel is the e class barbel rod I believe, terrible name I should say. I don’t remember the exact price, but should be around 150-170?
That rings a bell Huanzhou, i think it was e class gold. I'd completely forgot about that to be honest. it has gold whipping at the decals.

I have a pair of those rods. The Spirit Barbel was one up from the Tamer model, both of which I think are now discontinued. They can be identified by a small gold whipping just above the handle (I think they were the "Spirit Gold" version

I seem to recall paying about £130 per rod from Johnson Ross which will have included a 5% discount for buying two rods in one order.

There doesn't seem to be any change hands on ebay recently for a price guide. Your best bet would be to find a buyer who has one rod and wants to make a pair.

I have a pair of those rods. The Spirit Barbel was one up from the Tamer model, both of which I think are now discontinued. They can be identified by a small gold whipping just above the handle (I think they were the "Spirit Gold" version

I seem to recall paying about £130 per rod from Johnson Ross which will have included a 5% discount for buying two rods in one order.

There doesn't seem to be any change hands on ebay recently for a price guide. Your best bet would be to find a buyer who has one rod and wants to make a pair.
The spirt or gold e barbel is discontinued, but the tamer is not.

Mine cost about £200 John and is a lovely blank to look at compared to the Tamers, and nice rod to fish with. I might keep it for a bit of carp fishing now and then.

Mine cost about £200 John and is a lovely blank to look at compared to the Tamers, and nice rod to fish with. I might keep it for a bit of carp fishing now and then.
Apologies, I was slightly out on what I thought I paid. Here is a copy and paste from my order confirmation showing description and price, discounted by 5% for buying a pair in one transaction. Retail price each was £159.99. I have the 1.75 TC versions as well.

Free Spirit, Spirit Barbel Gold Rods - Choose : 12ft 2.25LB
£151.99​
2​
£303.98​

Back