• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

rod tip hi or low?

Andrew Elliot

have been trying with my tip low lately and been working well but can't decide its its better or not, just wondering what people prefer in different situations/connecting with more bites etc?

Last edited:
Hi Andrew,
I use both hi and low! If there are lots of bats, rowers or its windy low. All other times 45to 60 degrees any higher i get a bad neck. always the higher position for far bank.
Bite wise not much difference, never get any!
Paul.

Thats amazing, I also use the 45 to 60 degree method on my rod and catch nowt! :))))
Just to make sure I keep up my increadible hit rate, I shall be going onto a rock hard water next season in an attempt to keep my enviable record totally intact! :)))))))

From rod tips buried 12" under the surface to being way up in the air. Conditions swim choice river size method so many different combinations always different.

I think what Andrew is trying to say is....what ARE the varying factors that cause you guys who have 'been there, done that' to change rod positions/angles....and what the thought processes were behind your positioning of the rod....and was there a marked improvement in your catch rate when you made those alterations to your set up, to prove your modifications were correct :D

Cheers, Dave.

If on the Trent 45 degrees no more no less when fishing a few rod lengths out to far bank. down the edge just above the surface. On small rivers as low as possible some times underwater if there is lots of flotsam.
I do find it more enjoyable fishing with the rod low as your eyes are in a god aspect to see what's happening on and around the river.

As low as possible for me also.....Though next season i may leave them at home:mad:

I think what Andrew is trying to say is....what ARE the varying factors that cause you guys who have 'been there, done that' to change rod positions/angles....and what the thought processes were behind your positioning of the rod....and was there a marked improvement in your catch rate when you made those alterations to your set up, to prove your modifications were correct :D

Cheers, Dave.

The theory as I am sure you will appreciate is to keep the sunken line almost pinned to the bottom, a bit like back leading but without the need.
The opinion of some is that Barbel will brush the main line when at an angle and spook, there has been some evidence to 'prove' that but I am not that sure.
Personally my default position is 45 degrees, I seem to be able to see what's going on, if anything:)

Of course a long hook length will be an option and then I could still look like a ground to air missile launch :p

Back