• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod Hutchinson

Regret I couldn’t call him a friend but certainly an acquaintance from my Carp Society days. A character and a half for sure. RIP Rod

Hi men ,

The thing is , and iv said this before , those who were in at the start of the carp boom , mid 70,s to mid 80,s are getting old , and you cant stop that . Some of the stories , and memories these people have need writing before its to late , as its part of carp fishing history , something unique to our pastime .

I was fortunate enough to give him a lift in my car once . Not knowing my car is a tip at the best of times with horses and fishing . He looked on my back seat and said " I see you are using particles a bit then ? " , no I said " its for my chickens " , we had a giggle . He also told me he did not think cars were made with hay covered carpets :D , a true character . I used a fair bit of his bait / tackle over the years , and he wrote the best carp book ever . He was doing it to the very end on some extreme waters, and I was watching him on a Rainbow lake video only the other day where the water had risen due to heavy rain and he had ducks in the bivvy with him , awesome . Hope im still out there at his age , top bloke .

Hatter

I loved the way Rod embraced the other aspects of life with his fishing. His Carp Strikes Back book was hugely enjoyable to a mad keen teenager who also liked a drink before casting out ahead of a night session. He came across to me as the cavalier carp king of our time......RIP

Sad news, one of the important people in angling.

Back