• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod for big chub and barbel.

Richard Barrett

Anyone know of a good short quiver rod 9' to 11' that would take line 6lb to 8lb B/S. Its for small river close quarter rod to fish chub and barbel.

Thanks.

Rich.

TFG do a 8 / 10ft avon rod that comes with various quiver tops. It's a great little rod and very versatile, I own a couple butNot sure if they still do it though

Free Spirit 11ft Barbel Tamer 1.5tc. Beautifully light rod with Avon and quiver tops. Great for tight spots and small rivers.

If you can get an old John Wilson Avon Quiver then get one of those. The old masterline ones are great all round rods and I am gutted that I busted the quiver top on my one.

Just as a bit of balance to some of the other recommendations; I have a Darent Valley Avon quiver and I HATE it. Awful quiver top and the avon section has a naff action. Just my opinion of course.

Any decent feeder rods that do a full length top section? Ideally with a choice of two different top sections.

Push in inserts never feel quite right.

A chub rod .

Hatter[/QUOTE]
That's odd I was watching that episode this afternoon...check the one about rods through the ages, fascinating stuff.

Graham don't you rate series 7 ?. With there push in quiver
Dean. Yes decent rods but they do seem to lock up a bit 2/3 way down as mentioned.

All push in tip rods have a stronger tip holder joint so its not quite progressive. Just very fussy.

As well as the 12ft 1.25 S7.

I also have a prodigy 12ft 1.25 feeder.
And actually that feels a bit better with the Avon tip than the Drennan.

Nothing wrong with either rod. Just not perfect.

Last edited:
Back