• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod and Reel for £100?????

Can anyone recommend a good rod and reel combo for around £100? I've a few friends and relatives looking to get into Barbel fishing. Basics first - rod and reel! The Korum Barbel rods look good for £50 - anyone tried one? For the reel my thoughts are towards a Shimano ST4000 but what about the Daiwa Blackwidow reels - any good?

Ray Ellis

When looking to buy on a budget. I always have a good look at the fishing rods/reels that Go Outdoors have on offer, read the reviews as well.
I have just purchased 2 Shakespeare sigma 60 baitrunners and they seem to be a good solid bit of kit at £35 each. Havnt used them yet but am very happy with the look and feel of them.

If the budget is limited I would recommend a good condition second-hand rod and reel of better quality rather than an inferior new combination. There are bargains out there especially on eBay or check the classifieds on here.

The korum rods at £49.99 are fairly decent to be honest and a good starting point. Shimano 5000 re second hand change hands for around £35 would be a good match.

The korum rods at £49.99 are fairly decent to be honest and a good starting point. Shimano 5000 re second hand change hands for around £35 would be a good match.
I'll second that Clive the 2lb korum barbel rod i have was £45 post free and it's had a fair few barbel and chub,bream now and i don't think you will find a better quality rod for less.
Ok it doesn't have fancy finish/graphics, but that doesn't catch you more fish it just catches your eye!!
The 5000 re is a good reel and as you say you can pick one up second hand.

Dave

Thanks for the input chaps. Had a feeling the Korum rod would be up to the job. Gavin - I hear what you're saying regarding 2nd hand gear and if I was looking to kit myself out on a budget that's the route I would take but as these are recommendations to friends and family I would rather they bought new and had some after sales service to fall back on. Dave - good shout regarding the Avorunner! Forgot about those, heard good things recently. Is the general consensus that the cheaper Shimano's are a bit cr@p? Does anyone out there use a Daiwa freespool reel? What of Okuma these days - a decade ago they were the first point of call for quality vs price.