• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Roach perch BA

Stuart Ireland

Hi guys got the day off monday fancy a bit of roach or perch fishing for a change any suggestions would b great iv got the Bristol amalgamated ticket as an option but not sure were would b best to try? Any advise would b great thanks stu

Stuart, hopefully you'll see this...

River conditions permitting, there are absolutely bags of perch up at Christian Malford, particularly along the Avonweir Lane section (although you'll have to put up with a large herd of curious cows...). Nothing huge, but they are plentiful and in excellent condition. Tip - lobworms are your friend.

Roach wise, I have seen, but not caught, a lot at Lacock over the bridge downstream of the Abbey. Some of these were sizeable too, but I think it's been a VERY VERY long time since a fish much over a pound and a half has come out. They are definitely there, though.

I hear Avoncliff is very good for most river species, with good average sizes (particularly chub), but chuff knows how anyone fishes it - the banks are very very steep and the few obvious swims are not that easy to get down.

There are also good roach and perch in Tockenham, and you'll find at this time of year not many people fish it. Shackells always used to have decent roach - rumours of 3lb+ fish were rife in the 90s - but I've not fished it since then, so I can't comment on the current stock. Perch were also present there, but nothing massive.

Good luck!

Back