• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Wye Cabalva

Kevin Siddle

Morning all, has anyone any insight into this fishery, I’m stopping on it for a week early October I’ve looked at google earth and found a couple of videos I think have been done on it. I was hoping someone may actually have fished it. Thanks I’m anticipation. Kevin

Morning all, has anyone any insight into this fishery, I’m stopping on it for a week early October I’ve looked at google earth and found a couple of videos I think have been done on it. I was hoping someone may actually have fished it. Thanks I’m anticipation. Kevin
Kevin I think the issue seems to be that it might be more heavily fished than suggested.

Ooops, thought you meant you were worried you had been "done" on it...

Hi Graham, not at all, the accommodation has about half a mile of “exclusive”? Fishing, plus about a mile I think of shared with Angling escapades. I was hoping someone may have first hand information I’ve never fished that far up the river.

Morning all, first post from me, been lingering for some time!
Sorry to drag up an old thread but thought it better than starting another.
I have some time booked soon on this short stretch of the Wye - staying at Cabalva Mill Cottage.
I love fishing the Sussex Rother, but actually catching a Barbel would be nice!
Does anyone have any advice please regarding this stretch? How did you get on @Kevin Siddle please?

Hi Al ...head downstream from the cottage approx 500m you will find a large pool with a massive fallen tree (assuming its still there) over on the far bank... fish out towards the tree roots you should have some barbel from that swim... I last fished it around 6-7 years ago and had some nice barbel from the tree swim ...there are a few more swims downstream of the tree swim which might be worth ago too

Hi Al, the advice ref the tree swimm is spot on , quite snaggy. Lots of chub and barbel, I had a 9lb + within twenty minutes on the first day. Very dependent on levels which were up and down whilst we were there but you’ll catch chub all along the stretch. I fished meat over pellet and also maggot and only had one Dace but it’ll depend on whether they’ve moved out. I had plenty of chub and several barbel on the maggot also. Enjoy, it’s beautiful!

Well I've been here two nights now, it is indeed a beautiful place.

Finding it hard to fish as I don't have much experience of big rivers and after the recent rain the river's had a fairly fierce current!
Can't get anywhere near the fallen tree with my heaviest leads and feeders (4.5oz) as they're whisked away before they've touched bottom. Woody at the tackle shop, helpful gent that he is, recommended the same swim 👍

Had some nice chub on my side of the foam line.

On my first evening I was absolutely delighted to have caught my first Barbel, from the next swim downstream. 'Only' 4.5lb, but after two seasons of no Barbel on the Sussex Rother it's an absolute delight!

Still time to get another and I'm learning lots!

Thanks all.

Back