• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Wensum

It's a sad indication, but the last post on a BFW River Wensum thread was in 2012

What’s the situation with the Wensum these days for barbel? Pretty much non-existent I guess.
Hi Alistair. I live just outside Norwich. As far as the Wensum is concerned it's a no-go for any decent head of barbel. The decline has been going on for years. There are a few well meaning groups of anglers trying to get the river back to some kind of condition to support barbel (and the big roach that used to swim in it) but it's an uphill struggle. The problems are complex. You have the combined destructive force of agricultural run-off from fields, Water Co's discharging effluent and probably the biggest concentration of otters in the whole of the UK residing in Norfolk. I fish the Ant, the Bure and the Thurne, all sluggish rivers and although I catch quantity, the quality is not there anymore.
I could go on, but it will make me depressed!!!

As I suspected. I’m in Sheringham and joined the Oxnead/Buxton syndicate when I started fishing again a few years ago. I joined on the strength of a photo of a large barbel taken from Buxton mill pool but that was quite a few years ago.

As I suspected. I’m in Sheringham and joined the Oxnead/Buxton syndicate when I started fishing again a few years ago. I joined on the strength of a photo of a large barbel taken from Buxton mill pool but that was quite a few years ago.
The last large creature I saw swimming in Buxton Mill pool was an otter! That was in April this year!

Whilst water quality, habitat is very important to fish populations , I will reiterate what John Bailey, John Wilson, Des Taylor and others including myself have said over the last 10 years its predation that has ruined and destroyed the Barbel, Chub and Roach populations on the Wensum and other rivers, but its the otters relentless killing ability that works the quickest, by taking taking out the brood stock fast.

I know BFW doesn't like to publicly discuss the otter issue, and I am not advocating a big debate, this is my opinion, but these are the sad facts that are being played out on many rivers.

In theory let us say there are 100 mature barbel in a stretch of the Wensum in over a 1 mile length of river, 80 males up to say 8lb and a maximum age of 8 years old, remember most males at 7 or 8 years old die naturally anyway .

The remaining 20 mature females range from 6 pounds to 13 pounds in weight and aged between 5 years old and 15 years old.

If a pair of otters were introduced to that stretch (not including any potential offspring) , I would say within a three year period or three spawning seasons most of the females if not all would be killed, 75% of the males would have been killed or died naturally, with any youngsters being polished off by cormorants and goosanders, the Otter by killing the egg producing mature females combined with the declining male Barbel numbers, destroy the ability to breed and maintain any type of Barbel population, whether the river is perfect or putrid.

I truly believe this is what has happened to the Wensum, the Teme, the Bristol Avon, the Severn, the Windrush and many other rivers, there is a similar pattern being played out across the country until a tipping point is reached and the barbel population crashes, just like the Wensum.

Whilst water quality, habitat is very important to fish populations , I will reiterate what John Bailey, John Wilson, Des Taylor and others including myself have said over the last 10 years its predation that has ruined and destroyed the Barbel, Chub and Roach populations on the Wensum and other rivers, but its the otters relentless killing ability that works the quickest, by taking taking out the brood stock fast.

I know BFW doesn't like to publicly discuss the otter issue, and I am not advocating a big debate, this is my opinion, but these are the sad facts that are being played out on many rivers.

In theory let us say there are 100 mature barbel in a stretch of the Wensum in over a 1 mile length of river, 80 males up to say 8lb and a maximum age of 8 years old, remember most males at 7 or 8 years old die naturally anyway .

The remaining 20 mature females range from 6 pounds to 13 pounds in weight and aged between 5 years old and 15 years old.

If a pair of otters were introduced to that stretch (not including any potential offspring) , I would say within a three year period or three spawning seasons most of the females if not all would be killed, 75% of the males would have been killed or died naturally, with any youngsters being polished off by cormorants and goosanders, the Otter by killing the egg producing mature females combined with the declining male Barbel numbers, destroy the ability to breed and maintain any type of Barbel population, whether the river is perfect or putrid.

I truly believe this is what has happened to the Wensum, the Teme, the Bristol Avon, the Severn, the Windrush and many other rivers, there is a similar pattern being played out across the country until a tipping point is reached and the barbel population crashes, just like the Wensum.
Your calculations appear reasonable Lawrence and as one who fishes the Broads and Broadland rivers regularly, I can categorically state that seeing an otter these days is NOT a rare event. Joe Public love them though and there's great excitement when tourists spot them munching on a 6lb bream! But, I don't think it's JUST these furry killers to blame for the demise of Wensum barbel. Intensive agriculture, with the inherent use of phosphates washing off into the water, combined with slurry (I have seen feeder swims & dykes choked with the stuff) and good old water extraction all add up to a disaster for the Wensum. Over the years I have learnt to "adjust" my measurement of a good day by the river, so now it will be the sighting of a bittern instead of a slab of a bream or a 6lb chub!!!!
Reflection of life I suppose, like having to adjust to the loss of my hair!!

Your calculations appear reasonable Lawrence and as one who fishes the Broads and Broadland rivers regularly, I can categorically state that seeing an otter these days is NOT a rare event. Joe Public love them though and there's great excitement when tourists spot them munching on a 6lb bream! But, I don't think it's JUST these furry killers to blame for the demise of Wensum barbel. Intensive agriculture, with the inherent use of phosphates washing off into the water, combined with slurry (I have seen feeder swims & dykes choked with the stuff) and good old water extraction all add up to a disaster for the Wensum. Over the years I have learnt to "adjust" my measurement of a good day by the river, so now it will be the sighting of a bittern instead of a slab of a bream or a 6lb chub!!!!
Reflection of life I suppose, like having to adjust to the loss of my hair!!
The Irony is Paul is that the EA will tell us the reason for the huge population of otters now is down to the cleanliness of our rivers and waterways and the rebuilding of habitat, on the other hand, talk to the Angling Trust and others and they will tell you the reason for the decline in the Barbel and other species on our rivers is because of pollution, agriculture run off and loss of habitat ....but I rest my case, thanks for your comment

Lawrence.
Can't disagree with you. It's what my experience of the Kennet and Loddon tells me.

One thing worth mentioning is that Otters kill for fun not just for food. That's why so many places have very quick complete kills, like koi ponds for example. Not just for a meal.

It's not co - incidental the sharp reduction in barbel in so many rivers is quite simply from the first otter sightings.

The weekend on the Lower Severn when a group I took managed 28 ( yes) doubles near Pixham was the first time I saw an otter, in fact three otters on the Lower Severn.

Now days a single fish a day there is a result.

This season it will be after Zander there mainly.

On the Wye the old Salmon beats no longer employ Ghillies. They " Managed" the water habitat...

Yes, of course there are other issues, but Otters, are and continue to be a very serious issue.

Lawrence.
Can't disagree with you. It's what my experience of the Kennet and Loddon tells me.

One thing worth mentioning is that Otters kill for fun not just for food. That's why so many places have very quick complete kills, like koi ponds for example. Not just for a meal.

It's not co - incidental the sharp reduction in barbel in so many rivers is quite simply from the first otter sightings.

The weekend on the Lower Severn when a group I took managed 28 ( yes) doubles near Pixham was the first time I saw an otter, in fact three otters on the Lower Severn.

Now days a single fish a day there is a result.

This season it will be after Zander there mainly.

On the Wye the old Salmon beats no longer employ Ghillies. They " Managed" the water habitat...

Yes, of course there are other issues, but Otters, are and continue to be a very serious issue.
Agree 100%

Back