• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Wandle & MHPAC

Gary Short

Afternoon all,
New to the forum and have been trawling though the posts & the archives, particularly interested in my local river, the Wandle.
The river doesn't seem to have made it to the river reports this year so wondered if the are any Wandle anglers using the forum at the moment & particularly members at Morden Hall.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Gary, I live very close to the wandle and have fished it on and off for most of my life. Although I’m currently not a Morden hall member I have been in the past and still fish very close to Morden hall. Feel free to message me and I’ll help with any other questions if I can.

Hey guys,

I have just started work over in Colliers Wood and on the doorstep is the Wandle. I have searched the web for info on the Morden Hall Park Angling club but can’t find any contact details at all, or anything about Membership or the club. Various websites mention the club but that’s it.

Does any one have any contact details for them? I am wondering may be they don’t exist anymore…….

Many thanks
Mark

From Colliers Wood I think it’s easier to fish the free stretches. You’ve got the option of heading downstream and hitting the swims around Plough Lane & Garratt Park or upstream Sainsbury, Merton Abbey Mills to Deen City Farm.

Hey guys,

I have just started work over in Colliers Wood and on the doorstep is the Wandle. I have searched the web for info on the Morden Hall Park Angling club but can’t find any contact details at all, or anything about Membership or the club. Various websites mention the club but that’s it.

Does any one have any contact details for them? I am wondering may be they don’t exist anymore…….

Many thanks
Mark
The Morden Hall Park AC has no number provided for membership and as Daniel stated, just fish the free stretch. All the largest fish caught as far as I know have come from there.
It can be quite heavily fished, but there a reasonable amount of fish around, albeit small. The odd decent size fish is there if you put the work in.
The section between Windsor Avenue bridge and morden hall can be busy with local carpists, the swims are easy to find, simply follow the trails through the undergrowth.
Another heavily fished area a bit further downstream than where you mentioned, is Ravensbury Park; still has potential, but if a busy day swims will be taken. On quieter mid week days, great for a roaming approach. The odd nice river carp to be had, some trout and chub up to the 5lb mark.
Hackbridge may not look it, but there are some nice barbel there and probably the best section if you also want chub, as they are plentiful (with the odd trout).

There are of course other sections, but I hope you understand if I don't mention them, as they were quite hard to find and it wouldn't take much to kill the few productive swims.

Best of luck pal.

I would say the most popular baits used, being meat all year round and bread is a killer in summer. So many people in front of Sainsbury's feed bread to the ducks from the footbridge, the barbel have got used to eating it. I have seen what was clearly a double try to grab a whole slice once.

Agree with Jean-Pierre on baits. Free-lined/rolled meat works well as does a large hunk of bread with a shot on the line a few inches from the hook. Maggots & worm work well for dace, chub & trout. Float or legered worm can catch trout all day long, whether you want it or not!

That’s great info , thanks. Will have a good a rove around at some point. Really just thinking a couple of hours after work once in a while.

Back