• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Trent Rods

Adam Wylie

Senior Member & Supporter
Harrison Torrix 2.25 or 2.5
What would your choice be for Fishing the Trent on most occasions .
Some of the guys I see are using Carp rods 2.75 and with a double figure fish don't appear to be overgunned
It appears that during the summer some anglers are justifying powerful rods so as to land the fish quicker ,and hence cause less
stress to the fish.

I use Harrison Chimera no3 for 90% of my Trent fishing...great rods that will Chuck up to 6oz with ease if need be and beautiful playing action. For really high water I have a pair of Korum 13ft 2.75 which are great for the money and have used 8oz leads with these but don’t have the same ‘feel’ as more top end rods

In my opinion you don't need any more than 2lb for most Trent fishing. However it needs to be able to cast up to 6oz.

Are you ex fire service Adam?

Hi are you looking to buy some rods if so pm me i have a pair of 2.6 tc harison dark varbon extra power rods for sale custom buit .

Where on the Trent and in what conditions?
Im a mile from a Trent expert but parts of the upper in summer can be tackled easily with a 2-3oz yet the tidal in winter can be right at the other end of the scale needing 8-10oz to keep a bait pinned down.

Hi Ian ,yes I am ,and I remember you well .
Been away from Nottingham for 15 yrs so looking forward to getting back on the Trent .

I've fished the Trent with both 2lb and 2.5lb rods, 2lb rods were fine even with 3 or 4 feet extra water in, fishing into the flow, no big chucks required though. I can't see that my 2.5lb rods wouldn't be able to cope with anything I might need them to. Perhaps 2.25lb for all round would be a decent compromise?

I fished the upper Trent back in August with a 2lb TC Greys with 7oz. Just a lob into a near side slack. Could have done with a little more TC I think.
IMG_2616.JPG

Had to improvise on the bankstick with my second rod though. Was using my other two to keep as much line out of the water.

IMG_2623.JPG

I use two Diawa powermesh 2.75 for the Trent wonderful rods and have a truly brilliant action I initially bought them for when my lighter Fox duo lites were not man enough on the Tidal in flood when very big leads or feeders are needed

BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so surprised even with much lighter weights on the middle they were still a delight to use ! so I now use them for everything as they dont feel at all over gunned

and yes far better to get them in quick they suffer far less

better than these clowns that use tackle that they have to exhaust and half kill them before they can bring them to the net then think they are good anglers ?

I use two Diawa powermesh 2.75 for the Trent wonderful rods and have a truly brilliant action I initially bought them for when my lighter Fox duo lites were not man enough on the Tidal in flood when very big leads or feeders are needed

BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so surprised even with much lighter weights on the middle they were still a delight to use ! so I now use them for everything as they dont feel at all over gunned

and yes far better to get them in quick they suffer far less

better than these clowns that use tackle that they have to exhaust and half kill them before they can bring them to the net then think they are good anglers ?

I picked a couple of these up this year as well, and have to say, i am incredibly happy with them. Quite happy chucking 8 or 10oz about.

Hi for fishing Tidal Trent I was thinking about getting some heavy feeder rods 13'6" 100gms or 14'2" 120 gms
Would they do the trick ?.?
Any comments would be helpfull 👍

Hi for fishing Tidal Trent I was thinking about getting some heavy feeder rods 13'6" 100gms or 14'2" 120 gms
Would they do the trick ?.?
Any comments would be helpfull 👍
Should be OK Adam. I used heavy feeder rods for years. If your after a longer rod, have a look at the Korum 13s 2.5s. I have wondered what the Daiwa tournament 14 footers would be like? I like shiny things.....

Back