• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River severn perch

Chris Bourne

After seeing a low and clear severn today I decided to go grab a pint of red maggots and do some float fishing for perch.
It was very slow,took me an hour to get a bite which was a roach about 6 inch long,for some action I set the pike rod up and put out the roach as livebait,within 2 mins I had a run............a 2.8lb perch!
caught one more roach half the size of the first one,put that out and same as before within minutes had a 1.5lb perch.
Could not catch any more roach as livebait,but re-used the second one as deadbait but did not get a touch,also nothing on plugs or spinners.
Cant be sure if it was the fact they would only go for livebait or if they were the only 2 decent perch in the swim but nice to beat my PB :)

Nice going Chris....I've had days when the Perch will take nothing but livebaits and on other days in the same area, nothing but Worm !!

I guess that you would need to work through the baits to see what they favour on the day? One thing that I have noted with Stripeys is that worm usually produces....often small Perch initially but sooner or later the better ones will move in:):)

Been having a few 2s off the middle biggest 2lb 12 with the amount of fry I'm sure a 3 is round the corner.

Next time ill go armed with some lobworms,been wanting to break the 3 barrier for a long time but never targeted them before,allways caught them when feeder fishing.
Were a lot of grass snakes about on sunday in the river, saw 3,amazing how they just float on the water when they stop swimming.

Back