• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Mersey Stockport

James Cain

Hi All,

New to the Forum and just looking for any advice on the river Mersey in Stockport mainly down towards Parrswood way where it passes under the A34.

I drive past this each day and it looks like a decent stretch but yet to try it. Just wondering if anyone has any experience fishing around here and if it would be worth putting any time in to?

Thanks,
James

Welcome to the forum James. Sorry I cannot help 're the Mersey, I live on tuther side of the Penines, but sure someone on here will be able to advise. Good luck in your quest.
Mike

Welcome James - I haven't fished the stretch and don't really know anyone who has. I agree, though, that it does look good. Perhaps next season I'll have closer look! I would say that it's worth a shot, however, as there are barbel not far upstream.

Welcome aboard James...you’re cooking on gas now with Richard contributing....his was one of two names that I hoped would come to your rescue who know the area

Hi, thanks for the replies!

I know there are some nice barbel coming out of the Mersey in stockport centre so was wondering if they will have come down this far.

Going to have to give it a try then, will be perfect for a bit of prebaiting as I don't think anyone fishes round there!

If you visit Facebook and the many barbel pages look up Jerry Gleeson.

Hi, thanks for the replies!

I know there are some nice barbel coming out of the Mersey in stockport centre so was wondering if they will have come down this far.

Going to have to give it a try then, will be perfect for a bit of prebaiting as I don't think anyone fishes round there!

James - they're a lot further down than that. The Stockport fish are fish that have come downstream from the Goyt. The ones much further downstream are likely to be from the Bollin - though I have no idea how they got there originally.

If you catch, James, I'd refrain from giving too much info re; location, apart from it being the Mersey. What starts as a quiet spot soon gets busy if there's a sniff of barbel being caught. Oh, and good luck!

Hi All,

New to the Forum and just looking for any advice on the river Mersey in Stockport mainly down towards Parrswood way where it passes under the A34.

I drive past this each day and it looks like a decent stretch but yet to try it. Just wondering if anyone has any experience fishing around here and if it would be worth putting any time in to?

Thanks,
James

Lovely area there mate, some cracking swims, bait a few spots it's worth it.

It's not the easiest of rivers I've fished it regularly 3-5 nights per week between work shifts from the start of the season, I've had a fair few fish but lots of blanks, currently not had a bite on there now for 6 weeks and I'm still fishing it at least twice, well I was until this cold snap.
Good luck hope you catch a few

Jez

The river is riddled with rats even down there, it's the worst I've ever known a river so I'd carry a sanitising hand gel if I was you, avoid fishing it when it's rising due to the discharges the sewerage companies let go you end up with big roll all over your line, baby wipes 1 a chuck and the dreaded Stockport salmon (tampons) also another good reason to carry a hand sanitiser.

Jez

Back