• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Kennet perch lesions/damage

Steve interesting read, guess i will pray for a cold snap...it has stayed warm this year for a long spell and fish some waters i know where no one goes, leave this lot in peace for a while.

Interesting Steve. I caught several carp years back with lesions/ulcers exactly like those on the fish in your link. I treated these with Kryston'Klin-ik' (I would think any similar antiseptic used in carp fishing will do) by swabbing out the infected areas before returning the fish to the lake. More than one of these carp were subsequently caught again months later....and the lesions were healed completely.

I think the difficulty is that any wound (spawning wounds for example) can become ulcerated as a result of infection by bacteria/fungus, which then look exactly the same as those pictures, whatever the original problem was. So...whether the carp I treated were merely victims of infected wounds due to poor water quality...or the disease in your article...is impossible to tell.

Either way, I think it worth using an antiseptic agent on the lesions on any fish caught...it won't touch a virus of course, but it may well clear up a secondary bacterial/fungal infection...which must help.

Cheers, Dave.

Back