• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River avon at twyning

Chris Allcock

Hello all,

I was fitting some windows for a chap and got on to the subject of angling, he said there's was a nice place on the Avon in Twyning Tewkesbury by the fleet pub, where you drive to your peg and night fish, he said it was about a fiver, could any give anymore details on this?

Regards
Chris.

Chris, there will be quite a few more people here that know the stretch better than but understand very good for zander and lots of bream.
Saw quite a few bream roll of good average size when I was boat fishing there.

Its the Lower Avon of course. depends what you are targeting to fulfil your ambitions. If Barbel you need to manage your expectations, if Bream you may be pleased. There is a local club that have a very good still water fishery nearby, that have rights on the river, and I believe a holiday cottage venue. To be honest I wouldn't be that enthused about fishing there, much better venues at Fladbury, Pershore, Charlton all on the BAA ticket. Also Severn Stoke on the Severn, is a good mixed fishery with plenty of bank to wander.
If you have mobility issues then obviously that narrows down things a bit, if you have let me know and I can pinpoint some venues.

Its the Lower Avon of course. depends what you are targeting to fulfil your ambitions. If Barbel you need to manage your expectations, if Bream you may be pleased. There is a local club that have a very good still water fishery nearby, that have rights on the river, and I believe a holiday cottage venue. To be honest I wouldn't be that enthused about fishing there, much better venues at Fladbury, Pershore, Charlton all on the BAA ticket. Also Severn Stoke on the Severn, is a good mixed fishery with plenty of bank to wander.
If you have mobility issues then obviously that narrows down things a bit, if you have let me know and I can pinpoint some venues.
Cheers Neil, it's definitely barbel il be targeting, to be honest other than taking my nipper down the cut for a bit of gudgeon bashing, I don't fish for any other species. I absolutely love barbel fishing. So I'm looking for somewhere to night fish with the Mrs. And the baa are a nightmare to go get night permits. So If you can recommend anywhere on the avon or the lower severn on a day/night ticket that would be great. Thanks again Neil.👍🏻

Hi Chris, I am guilty of being just obsessed with Barbel too, it's not particularly a healthy obsession to have considering the lack of action we now get down here. Wind back a few years it was a different story, one lower Avon venue was producing a double and 8s and 9s almost every session, now a bite every other session is a result. Now I am afraid even the most likely of venues are struggling, but there are other species, roach in particular that are doing well in the Avon...and Chub, plenty of those.
I would say the Lower Severn, as mentioned Severn Stoke in particular, along with another venue you can night fish I will pm you details of.
The Severn bear in mind fishes better later in the season for Barbel, and with some water on.
Tewkesbury Lower Lode has a dt venue on the rowing club lawn, you can night fish here, and has good parking with shops nearby, and a pub opposite via rhe ferry. Not prolific barbel venue, but a good mixed fishery on the feeder, does throw up the occasional barbel, and has accounted for the Severn record Zander.
Night fishing venues are like hens teeth, and agree the BAA booking system is a joke.
Will dig out that info in the morning...

Chris, there will be quite a few more people here that know the stretch better than but understand very good for zander and lots of bream.
Saw quite a few bream roll of good average size when I was boat fishing there.
Thanks graham👍🏻

Cheers Neil, it's definitely barbel il be targeting, to be honest other than taking my nipper down the cut for a bit of gudgeon bashing, I don't fish for any other species. I absolutely love barbel fishing. So I'm looking for somewhere to night fish with the Mrs. And the baa are a nightmare to go get night permits. So If you can recommend anywhere on the avon or the lower severn on a day/night ticket that would be great. Thanks again Neil.👍🏻
Have a look at Manor Farm at Harvington Chris, that ticks all your boxes.

Back