• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rising river

Wayne Pevy

What are people's views on fishing a rising river,going to middle severn sat/Sunday,will the heavy rain forecast in wales for 48hours from tomorrow morning be down there by then?

Much depends on the river in question. I tend to prefer to fish a falling river rather than a rising one. However, another variable is the temperature of the incoming water compared to that of the river prior to the influx. A flood of relatively cold water can be the kiss of death. An influx of warmer water can see the fish really come on. Based on nothing more than the recent high temperatures and the forecast suggesting that the incoming weather system is going to see a significant drop in temperatures, I'd anticipate that many rivers are going to be heavy going in the next few days.

I also prefer a falling river but the Severn when it’s just starting to rise can fish amazing. As previously said though if it’s an influx of cold water then it could be hard going

will be a nightmare at this time of year with the leaves washing in to the river
much prefer a falling river

On was on the middle few weeks ago when it was on the rise. It was just starting to come up and I caught went next day and came right up I blank along with a few others but few days later when it was dropping it fished well. Timing is the main part . I'm lucky middle only 30 mins from me. Takes a day and half to get to the middle part roughly ..

Warks Avon fishes best on a rising river. Not sure the current rain will be that cold, I think the new life it puts into the river will outweigh any slight temperature drops.

It's interesting to see the difference in opinion on this, I've always preferred a rising river, never really done that well in a falling one.

I also prefer a rising river, apart from the hassle of weeds etc, because on a falling river there's every chance the fish have eaten their fill. A rising river after a period of low water usually means they are feeding hard. Of course for chub, a falling river is normally better.

On was on the middle few weeks ago when it was on the rise. It was just starting to come up and I caught went next day and came right up I blank along with a few others but few days later when it was dropping it fished well. Timing is the main part . I'm lucky middle only 30 mins from me. Takes a day and half to get to the middle part roughly ..
This is pretty much what I find. Good when it starts rising, tough at its highest and good on the drop

Been out today, nearly didn’t bother but glad I did
River was on the rise and filling up quickly
Chub started as soon as I chucked in and had one , lost one in about 10 minutes
Then four barbel , 3 over 8lb, after every cast
Thought it would be one of them days
But it ended as abruptly as it started, leaves in the river made further fishing impossible even upstreaming and whilst the river looked beautiful and chocolate it was getting hairy so I quit whilst ahead
First time I’ve ever caught it just right, just wish I’d have got out of bed earlier!!

Back