• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rig help please

Richard Burton

Could anyone tell me if there is a way to tie a mono hooklink, but with a braid hair?, it needs to be quite a reliable and secure way as it will invove a fair amont of casting and re baiting.

Just lie a braid along the shank of the hook at the length you want and nust whip your nylon over the top using a knotless knot, make sure your braid goes through the eye prior to over whipping and then trim off the excess once overwhipped, easy and reliable

Chris, sounds good mate, but im sure ive tried this before, does the braid not just pull through the mono after a bit of use, also thats, braid and two passes of line through the eye, im only using relativly small hooks, 12's and 10's thus not possible two get that amount of material through the eye at times.

Could anyone tell me if there is a way to tie a mono hooklink, but with a braid hair?, it needs to be quite a reliable and secure way as it will invove a fair amont of casting and re baiting.

Hello Richard, if you don't mind, can you tell me why you use braid for the hair ?
Thanks
Stephen

When I have had a broken hair (after whipping a braid one under a knotless knot) and been lazy, I have simply tied a braid hair onto the curve of the hook with a dab of superglue on the knot.

edit: the other way of being able to change the hair is to use a very small loop or rig ring on a short hair (both tied tight to the knotless knot) and tie on the braid hair to the small loop or rig ring. This means you can swap and change hairs to suit baits or have them ready to tie on before each retrieve and cast.

Last edited:
When I have had a broken hair (after whipping a braid one under a knotless knot) and been lazy, I have simply tied a braid hair onto the curve of the hook with a dab of superglue on the knot.

edit: the other way of being able to change the hair is to use a very small loop or rig ring on a short hair (both tied tight to the knotless knot) and tie on the braid hair to the small loop or rig ring. This means you can swap and change hairs to suit baits or have them ready to tie on before each retrieve and cast.

Stephen, just a bit of experimentation with different baits and alternate ways of hooking.

I regularly use a braided hair with a mono hooklink because it allows freedom of movement of the bait! All I do is tie the braided hair on 'Knotless knot' style but after threading the braid through the eye of the hook I tye it off with a couple of half hitches and add a dab of superglue then cut off any excess to leave a nice neat finish!
Provided the hook remains sharp you can replace the mono hooklength at will!
Works for me on the Wye where hooklengths get a lot of abrasion.

Why not try the combi link http://www.korda.co.uk/rigz/how_to.php?id=2&rig=2
I know it looks a bit complicated but tie a couple at home and after that it becomes more easy. I used a fly tying vice for the first couple just to hold the hook so as I had both hand free to to tie the knot but not wanting to carry it around with me once I had worked out the mechanics of the knot I did away with the vice and I can tie them by hand after just a few practise goes.
I also did a pull test on this knot. I used 10lb Drennan sink braid tyed to the hook with a palamar knot but you could use the knot less knot to form your hair then I used 10lb Wychwood fly leader which is fluorocarbon for the rest of the hook link which in turn was finished with a figure of eight loop knot fixed to a quick change link swivel.
I put the whole dam lot on to a set of digi scales and did a pull test. It snapped at 18+lb at the figure eight loop which told me all I needed to know about the combi link knot. (and all of the other knots I used for the test to be honest)
I've only used the combi link knot twice but the first time I used it I had a bit of a hit and hold situation and it held out just fine with a 10lb 4oz Barbel pulling on the other end.
Give it a try. You get a nice hinge type rig and only have to use a very short lenth of braid which means you can use a good old mono or a fluorocarbon hook link which keeps the cost down too.
Times getting on and I must admit to having a Sherry so if I've not come across to clear please ask any questions after I've had a sleep.
Scaz

Last edited:
Back