• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ridiculous Pic

Howard Cooke

I am sat in a coffe shop and have got all comfy. Wife has taken child (our child) to the hell that is a 4 year old's party, and I have a fresh copy of Anglers Mail in front of me. I casually take a sip of my steaming Italian cappuccino and turn the first page. WTF is that!!!!!! That has to be the most ludicrous fishy photo I have ever seen! And the other worldly fish is being held by the great, great grandson of the lead guitarist from ZZ TOP. The angle of the photo makes the rainbow trout look 100lb. It would scare Nile Perch to death. But apparently it's only 20lb. Unless of course, the hairy biker holding it is actually Tom Thumb. Just ridiculous.

I noticed that photo too and thought, why not hold it in a normal position?

I fish for trout but never on those waters that stock with fish that have been grown to a massive size under artificial conditions, plonked in gin clear water and the captured a few days later by "stalking" tactics.

A fish stocked between 1lb and 2lb and grown on naturally to maybe double figures in a reservoir environment developing a full set of fins holds far more merit in my book.

Tha'ts the way it's done in those circles, they don't care about accuracy or identification marks because the next stop for those things is the kitchen filleting table, all they want is an impressive picture to hang on the office wall.

Back