• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Richard Walker MkIV rods advice

Aaron Littlefield

Good afternoon everyone,

apologies if I'm posting in the wrong area - I haven't been on the board for a long time due to an absence from angling (but still wear my BFW polo with pride!). At the moment I'm eager to get myself back to the riverbank...

I'm in the fortunate position to treat myself to some vintage tackle and I'm hankering after a B.James MkIV Richard Walker cane rod. I'd dearly welcome your thoughts and advice on this rod so that I don't buy the wrong type.

I'm torn between the MKIV Avon (1lb TC) and the MKIV Carp (1.5lb TC)...or later 2lb TC type. I would never class myself as a specimen angler - I'm more of a pleasure angler tending to visit small rivers, the odd pond and canals, happy to catch 3-4lb chub and barbel up to say 10lb if I'm ever so lucky enough. Amusingly, never caught a carp!

As most of my fishing is small rivers, would you consider the Avon to be more suitable, or in the off-chance a decent barbel comes may way, would you advocate the MkIV Carp? I like the idea of touch ledgering with these.

Any advice would be greatly received. I hear the 'onion' handled rods are better than the 'doughnut' type...

Many thanks,

Aaron

i have had several mk4 avons and mk4 carp rods, the avons i find are a trifle undergunned for todays barbel and can take too long to subdue em, the mk4 carp can do this quicker but just before i duck down into my cellar i thing rods like harrisons are much more efficient and more reliable than built cane
( oh and i am a cane enthusiast as well but everythinghas its day just like vintage cars):D

Thanks for the advice, this was my concern - I was worried that the Avon might be somewhat undergunned too. Particularly given that it would fundamentally be used as a ledger rod, and well...who knows what might grab it as I get more proficient at chasing barbel (and the odd wildie carp).

The MKIV Carp at 1.5lb TC doesn't sound likes its a hugely different beast to the avon, but could prove better - but I welcome corrections. Given the cost, I'd rather get a rod that is the better all rounder.

I'm with you with carbon, I still maintain a healthy carbon stock (some forthcoming Drennan's will hopefully be on the shopping list), but a pair of usable MKIV's would be a nice treat. Thanks for the advice.

As I have mentioned I have inherited a MK IV Avon and it's a fine looking rod, the only problem was that for some unknown reason it was fitted with a chrome screw down reel seat at the base of the handle, I have removed it and all that I need to do is fit some new cork. I think it must have been built from a kit back in 1961 so it doesn't have a name to bump up the price, but I have checked the going prices these rods are getting and they can be anywhere between £150 - £300 or more for a original of course.

However actually fishing with the thing, even on a small river would feel me with trepidation, as we know Barbel and Chub will be in the same place at the same time, and I would fear for the worse, perhaps I being somewhat over cautious but a small river barbel scraps are scary, even with a stick of carbon in your hands, so I probably would never use it with any conviction, so would pass it off to someone who might.

But they are wonderful tactile rods, and a I certainly see why they are so sought after.

Use it with conviction Neil [ once you get your handle done! ] . In my view there is a lot of unnecessary caution taken when using cane rods . Yes they do bend somewhat alarmingly at times but that is what they are mean't to do . I reckon a MK1V Avon is a little undergunned for stopping a barbel in a very tight spot ,but still useable , the MK1V carp rods earlier or later versions are just fine in most circumstances except a very heavy flood or when casting heavy weights long distances . The limitations of cane rods , is that they are heavy in the hand compared to carbon or glass , and they need looking after in terms of drying , storage and maintenance . I have only ever broken one cane rod on a fish and that was down to sheer ineptitude on my part , putting the rod in an over vertical position under extreme load , stupid ...

Good afternoon everyone,

apologies if I'm posting in the wrong area - I haven't been on the board for a long time due to an absence from angling (but still wear my BFW polo with pride!). At the moment I'm eager to get myself back to the riverbank...

I'm in the fortunate position to treat myself to some vintage tackle and I'm hankering after a B.James MkIV Richard Walker cane rod. I'd dearly welcome your thoughts and advice on this rod so that I don't buy the wrong type.

I'm torn between the MKIV Avon (1lb TC) and the MKIV Carp (1.5lb TC)...or later 2lb TC type. I would never class myself as a specimen angler - I'm more of a pleasure angler tending to visit small rivers, the odd pond and canals, happy to catch 3-4lb chub and barbel up to say 10lb if I'm ever so lucky enough. Amusingly, never caught a carp!

As most of my fishing is small rivers, would you consider the Avon to be more suitable, or in the off-chance a decent barbel comes may way, would you advocate the MkIV Carp? I like the idea of touch ledgering with these.

Any advice would be greatly received. I hear the 'onion' handled rods are better than the 'doughnut' type...

Many thanks,

Aaron

Hello Aaron . Go on treat yourself . The Avon is fine unless you are in a tight spot with a powerful fish , [although Chris Yates managed to land a 50 lb plus carp from Redmire using one and an old fixed spool reel ] The Avon is light enough to hold in your hand for extended periods, the MK1V carp rods are noticeably heavier as you would expect . If I had to go for an all rounder I would suggest the 1.5lb TC MK1V Carp . In my opinion the shape of the top of the handle is no real indication of quality , it's just collectors who obsess about early models . All the B James cane carp / avon rods were built to a very high standard . If you are looking on E bay to buy , you can still pick up a good B James for under £200 as long as you arent bothered about perfect cosmetics and prepared to take a bit of a risk . Try and get one with equal length sections . There are a few around with shorter top sections 1-3 inches missing is OK beyond that they aren't much cop

Use it with conviction Neil [ once you get your handle done! ] . In my view there is a lot of unnecessary caution taken when using cane rods . Yes they do bend somewhat alarmingly at times but that is what they are mean't to do . I reckon a MK1V Avon is a little undergunned for stopping a barbel in a very tight spot ,but still useable , the MK1V carp rods earlier or later versions are just fine in most circumstances except a very heavy flood or when casting heavy weights long distances . The limitations of cane rods , is that they are heavy in the hand compared to carbon or glass , and they need looking after in terms of drying , storage and maintenance . I have only ever broken one cane rod on a fish and that was down to sheer ineptitude on my part , putting the rod in an over vertical position under extreme load , stupid ...

OK then Mike say I did with a great amount of concern, actually fish with the thing, what the deuce do I put on the handle ? (when it's fixed) I have the ancient Intrepid Standard or perhaps if I was to do the right thing fix a 'pin I suppose, but all I have to my name in that department is a unused Shakespeare Golden Eagle which let's face it is worth zero points in Kudos, as someone on here once commented that it might be all right if ''I just wanted to ledger with it'' :eek:

I am of an age to have used such antiquated gear in my youth, so I guess for the youngsters it's a novelty, I even joined a forum that just full of pin and cane nuts, and had to sign a disclaimer that I could never talk, post, or send a picture of carbon rods or modern reels, and certainly not allowed to use the forum to sell gear:rolleyes:

We are a funny lot :)

Neil , Gavin's suggestion seems reasonable . I have even commited the heresy of using a Shimano [new] reel on a cane rod [ burn him , burn him !] at Redmire Pool no less . I reckon your Shakey reel would be fine , look at it as inverted snobbery :). I use almost exclusively vintage Mitchell reels or old centre pins [ Speedia's , Mordex's , even an Aerial on special occasions ]. It all depends on what I am fishing for , where ,and which stick I am using . You can get a very serviceable second hand mitchell 300 for very reasonable money on E bay [ if you don't want the box , instructions etc ]. That would give you a classic look , + a very useable set up . Win /Win !

Neil , Gavin's suggestion seems reasonable . I have even commited the heresy of using a Shimano [new] reel on a cane rod [ burn him , burn him !] at Redmire Pool no less . I reckon your Shakey reel would be fine , look at it as inverted snobbery :). I use almost exclusively vintage Mitchell reels or old centre pins [ Speedia's , Mordex's , even an Aerial on special occasions ]. It all depends on what I am fishing for , where ,and which stick I am using . You can get a very serviceable second hand mitchell 300 for very reasonable money on E bay [ if you don't want the box , instructions etc ]. That would give you a classic look , + a very useable set up . Win /Win !

I did actually have a look at the 300's, it would look nice I agree, I already have a cane handle and a few old rests, some fingerless gloves and an old brown jacket somewhere, sod it I'm going for the Yate's look :p

I did actually have a look at the 300's, it would look nice I agree, I already have a cane handle and a few old rests, some fingerless gloves and an old brown jacket somewhere, sod it I'm going for the Yate's look :p

When will you be starting on your crash diet then Neil?

:D

Cheers, Dave.

Wicker basket and a Kelly Kettle would finish the new look off nicely Neil . Ignore David , you be loud and proud mate :D

Neil, you do realise that to complete the image, you will need to spend a lot of time standing absolutely motionless in a lake, dressed as a scarecrow?

Cheers, Dave.

Neil don't forget jumping or falling out of trees wearing said attire.Just to complete the authentic look!

Back