• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Review time. Chair

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter
A little while back I walked into my local tackle shop with £80 on the hip to treat myself to a new chair. Based on their stock and good things I’d read I was set on the JRC stealth x lite thing.
Lovely chair to sit on very light etc etc and sat right next to it was a NGT Nomadic with a tag showing £38. So out of curiosity I had a look round that. It’s about 1/2 kg heavier and doesn’t have a side pouch. That’s it!! There is your £42 worth. They share the exact same mud feet and adjusting mechanism. They also share the same locking mechanism for locking the legs. A lot of the parts for both chairs obviously manufactured by same company. The padding is equally as comfortable. They are dimensionally pretty much identical. Strength well I bounced on them both with my 100kg frame and they reacted identically to the force so long story cut short I went in looking to spend 80 quid and come out with 42 quid change and a chair that’s just over half a kg heavier. Any way I’m not into unboxing reviews I think they are pointless so we’ve now been on 5 fishing trips together and so far it’s been the best 38 quid I’ve ever spent. I carry it on my Korum roving bag on my back so I would never notice the Small extra weight on my back.
The mud feet are a thousand times better than my Korum chair and it is really really comfortable. It’s not going to be exactly as good as a fox or jrc but it’s dam close I can tell you from a thorough inspection of them side by side. It certainly isn’t half the chair despite being half the price. I recommend highly for those looking to get a new chair and don’t want to spend the bigger brass.
06657027-1423-4BC1-822D-68D8E5120FFC.jpeg
97E62605-8F0F-438D-9145-101D806FDDFF.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ll freely admit 9/10 I’ll spend top dollar to get the best gear but in this case I really couldn’t see where that extra £40 was going. We are talking roughly about 0.6-0.7kg difference and a little pocket for your keys.
The two chairs shared so many of the same parts and manufacturing standards that it was easy for me to walk out with the cheaper one. Maybe time will tell but so far I’m quite happy to shout about it and say I’ve made a non regrettable saving.

Thanks for the review Richard, ive just googled this chair, and how the hell, can amazon sell it cheaper, than NGT's own website ?????

Amazon, £36.85

NGTdirect £39.95
Amazon probably have a million of them to shift.

Thanks for the review Richard, ive just googled this chair, and how the hell, can amazon sell it cheaper, than NGT's own website ?????

Amazon, £36.85

NGTdirect £39.95
Simple answer is The manufacturer has to sell them at RRP and not undercut the dealers or the dealers would tell them where to shove it lol

I'm still waiting for someone to make a PROPER river chair, i.e. front legs significantly longer for sloping banks. I did doctor one a few years back, still in the shed but fabric falling apart and I inherited a new one. Keep meaning to get round to making a bespoke new one.

One of the features on the JRC Stealth I particularly like is the seat springing, shoelace style, on the underside of the seat base.
When the bungee type elastic stretches it can be tightened up restoring the comfort.
Have done mine once in about 4 yrs.
Previous un sprung JRC was pretty indestructible but did mean a numb bum if seated more than a few hours.

I'm still waiting for someone to make a PROPER river chair, i.e. front legs significantly longer for sloping banks. I did doctor one a few years back, still in the shed but fabric falling apart and I inherited a new one. Keep meaning to get round to making a bespoke new one.
I've just this week modified mine. Always wanted long front legs on seat, mostly don't use rear legs at all. Bought some alum tube off eBay (£9) and job done in an hour. Used thicker gauge (16swg/1.6mm) though to take extra 'strain'.

The first problem was getting the feet off the original legs ...thought I could just drill and/or pull them sraight off, but no. So I hacksawed them off (just through the aluminium at an angle!) With slightly thicker gauge tubing I needed to sand the 'studs' of the feet that fit inside the legs, but only a bit ... and then 2-pack glued them into place. A good tight fit ...it went well. N.b. I used the feet off the rear legs of seat, just in case I f'ed up 🤭

A little while back I walked into my local tackle shop with £80 on the hip to treat myself to a new chair. Based on their stock and good things I’d read I was set on the JRC stealth x lite thing.
Lovely chair to sit on very light etc etc and sat right next to it was a NGT Nomadic with a tag showing £38. So out of curiosity I had a look round that. It’s about 1/2 kg heavier and doesn’t have a side pouch. That’s it!! There is your £42 worth. They share the exact same mud feet and adjusting mechanism. They also share the same locking mechanism for locking the legs. A lot of the parts for both chairs obviously manufactured by same company. The padding is equally as comfortable. They are dimensionally pretty much identical. Strength well I bounced on them both with my 100kg frame and they reacted identically to the force so long story cut short I went in looking to spend 80 quid and come out with 42 quid change and a chair that’s just over half a kg heavier. Any way I’m not into unboxing reviews I think they are pointless so we’ve now been on 5 fishing trips together and so far it’s been the best 38 quid I’ve ever spent. I carry it on my Korum roving bag on my back so I would never notice the Small extra weight on my back.
The mud feet are a thousand times better than my Korum chair and it is really really comfortable. It’s not going to be exactly as good as a fox or jrc but it’s dam close I can tell you from a thorough inspection of them side by side. It certainly isn’t half the chair despite being half the price. I recommend highly for those looking to get a new chair and don’t want to spend the bigger brass. View attachment 9240View attachment 9241
Yes i have got the Ngt Nomadic chair. Had it a year fantastic. Got mine for £32.

Problem with that is no adjustable back legs. I will sit on my chair with the back legs folded up when the bank is steep or on steps but if your just on a bit of uneven ground adjustable back legs are needed or it’s well uncomfortable

The chair I'm using is the same, bit of a dig with my machete usually sorts it if needed, not having long enough front legs is a bigger issue for me.

The chair I'm using is the same, bit of a dig with my machete usually sorts it if needed, not having long enough front legs is a bigger issue for me.
I was using a really lightweight fox chair for years. Might be a stalker or something but the back legs didn’t fold at all and the front was the same height so was a nightmare on uneven banks. But I agree the front legs need to be longer on a chair

I’d design a river chair to be a little different. I don’t think the back end is particularly much of a problem on any Sloping bank as the feet folded under the chair out the way just solves that problem
The front end however I would make some changes too.
First off the position that the front legs fold out to often goes too far when they lock into place. You should have the ability to lock those front legs at a few different positions on their pivot point. You’ll find if you can do that you wouldn’t need so much front leg extension on steep banks.
Second I’d Personally stick with the nice big pivotal mud feet and independent extending legs but I’d have a 3/8bsf female thread up the leg tubes so I can screw in a short stubby storm pole into the front feet and physically shove the chair into the bank for extra stability on really steep muddy banks.

Last edited:
Back