• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Returning to barbel fishing.

Rob Smith

Hi Guys,

About 10yrs ago I was an avid barbel angler but since then life has caught up with me and the barbel have taken a back seat. I used to fish the Teme and Severn on the BAA waters but thought I’d check on here to see where has been catching good barbel bags over the last few seasons ???

I am based in Tamworth so anywhere within 50 miles of a Tamworth would be great.

I'm guessing Neil is not wanting to tell you about the significant impact on the rivers due to predation both cormarants and otters. The teme in particular has been desimated i believe the Severn has to but not quite as badly. You can find river reports on here via the top tab. Still good news there are still some good and thriving rivers to go at. I have also done a similar thing to you but mainly due to where i live i used to fish the teme very sad but i believe although many years the rivers will bounce back nature has a way. Anyway the Trent and the Wye are two of the inform rivers. I'm guessing the Wye is closer for you. Anyway hope that helps and welcome back don't dispair get those barbel roads back out in fact you've about a week to do so cheers Jon

Hi Guys,

About 10yrs ago I was an avid barbel angler but since then life has caught up with me and the barbel have taken a back seat. I used to fish the Teme and Severn on the BAA waters but thought I’d check on here to see where has been catching good barbel bags over the last few seasons ???

I am based in Tamworth so anywhere within 50 miles of a Tamworth would be great.
You've got lots of very good barbel fishing on the Trent Rob within 50 miles of where you are.

Thanks for all your help, can anyone suggest clubs or stretches on the Trent, Wye or Severn that are still producing ?

Hi Rob, apologies for the rather curt response, but alas as mentioned the Teme is very much in recovery mode, all perhaps intensive care. As is the rest of local rivers, the WA although still producing, and at the moment the lower Severn is not really a confidence venue. So as suggested as far as the BAA ticket is concerned the Wye (Stacklands) would be my first choice if my life depended on catching a Barbel, it will be new to you I guess as BAA have had it for 5 years or so.... but a nice venue, albeit bust in the summer, hence the need to get a day permit, free from HQ. This time of year you don't need. It is a grind though getting there, you best put in the Sat Nav details. As also said 'Barbel alley' is in good form, I don't go that far upstream, so others would be best to advise.
Plenty more venues on the BAA some of which rarely get fished, at the moment I am looking for some new spots, that's the real buzz I guess.

You could do a lot worse than Burton Mutual,plenty of the Trent to go at and the Dove,although the Dove is not the river it once was.The BAA card is also good value,plenty of the middle Severn within striking distance,good luck 👍

Back