• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Return of the Nash Nomad Chair

Hi Ian,

Yes....and no!:D

My brother (who currently lives with me) has bought our younger brother (who lives around the corner with his intended) one for Crimbo.

It is currently 'hiding' here in my rod room.

I also have 2 of the 'original' Nomad chairs here, so can give you the pro's & cons in direct comparison.

The first obvious things are; The new version is both wider and heavier.

The mud feet are also bigger, adding to the extra weight.

I like the idea of the option that the central 'mattress' can be removed via Velcro strips, ala the Indulgence bed-chairs, revealing a mesh seat & back for better ventilation in summer months and also for washing of the mattress itself.

I'm glad to see the return of the zipped pocket with carry strap inside on the mkii, this was always a super feature on the original in my opinion.

Comfort wise, this is MUCH improved in my view, no doubt due to the extra width and added fleece covered mattress bed.

It does seem that the actual framework of the chair is stronger? It doesn't seem to 'give' as much as the mki does when I plant my 16st butt on it anyway!:D

I've added this edit; As I've just remembered I did notice, the leg extension on the new Nomad sits higher than the original, which is a major Brucie Bonus as the mki was a little low for a 6 footer imo. This was only a problem on level ground and mainly on still waters for me. As when float fishing on pools, I prefer a slightly higher, more upright sitting position, as I find it makes for a sharper striking and playing position and gives me better control landing fish. (just my opinion!)

All in all, I feel a welcome return and improvement on the mki, albeit, a little bulkier & heavier.

If there's anything I've missed? I'll do my best to answer any further questions.

Regards,
Dazza.

Last edited:
Darreyl

You mention weight wise it is heavier have you got a direct comparison by how much etc? or am I being too pedantic? lol :D

Brian

Not at all Brian...every oz saved is a good thing!

I shall get the Ruby's out shortly for you. (They've got nothing else to do!)

Regards,
Daz.

It is advertised as 4kg, whereas I seem to remember the old one being stated as 3.2kg, would be interesting to know :)

I understand that people want a bigger chair for comfort but I still can't see past my JRC X-lo Stalking chair. The new nomad weighs just over 4kg according to the ebay article where as the JRC weighs 3.2kg. I am quite small granted but I love it being so light, very compact, with armrests and so quick to set up and put away. I can also tuck my unhooking mat and some rod rests under the matress elastic. Great for being mobile but even for long periods of time in the chair I wouldn't use my bigger chair anywhere down the river.

Chris,

Polite word of warning re the JRC X-low chair mate!

A good friend of mine has/had that chair, third time out with it, he pushed himself up to play a hooked fish using one of the arms of the chair as you do.

It snapped at the junction/bend of the arm leaving a very jagged edge which opened the inside of his own arm quite badly as he toppled!:eek:

Landed the fish tho, so not all doom & gloom!!:D

Dazza.

ah that's not good:S Hope he was ok. Ive had it since March and have had no problems with it. Probably used it around once or twice a week since. I suppose I can only recommend it if you are light and small then:p Hopefully it shall continue to do me well :)

Update on stats;

The MkII is slightly wider as I thought;

MkI is 20" across the seat/back.
MKII is 21-1/2" across seat/back.

I seem to have also guessed correctly that the MKII stands a little taller than the original.

With both chairs standing next to each other; measured with the legs both fully retracted and extended, the MKII stands 2" higher overall at seat level than the MKI.

As for the all important weights; (Weighed on digitals)

The MKI comes in at 3.20kg.
The MKII comes to 4.35kg.
{nether chair was carrying spawn at the time!}

(No chair was harmed during the taking of these measurements!)

Regards,
Dazza.

Thanks Dazza,

If that was weighed with digitals, was the ambient temperature within the required range of the scales? ;)

Well Chris, I hope it does continue to serve you well bud.

Like me, he is a bit of a lump!

Being we're both about 6ft and around 16st, he also being ex (knees) rugger type and what I would politely call of 'solid' build!:rolleyes:

Regards,
Daz.

Thanks Dazza,

If that was weighed with digitals, was the ambient temperature within the required range of the scales? ;)

:D I believe so Crooky!? :D

Scales are kept at monitored room temperature in my tackle room. (indoors)

All measurements were taken in my dinning room. (Witnessed & verified)

(All BRFC standards apply, so subject to change?)

Regards,
Daz.

Thanks for the updated weights....

Not sure you can claim its a record though lol

Brian

Do the back legs still fold up from underneath you if not locked in property? :D

Think I'll stick with the old one despite that though, plenty of life left in it yet.

cheers
Al

They do Darreyl! :D On most rivers i fish the sloping bank makes the back legs redundant. Save weight and embarassing chair collapsing moments by removing the back legs and resting the frame on a sloping bank! ;)

Any chance you could do a re weigh without the back legs Daz?!

Last edited:
Andrew,

I would if it was mine, but as it's a Crimbo gift, I'd rather not matey. As knowing my luck, I'd scratch the bugger!

Regards,
Daz.

Back