• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Replacement landing net mesh

David Craine

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi all, just about done my head in this morning..... I have made an oval laminated cane landing net head, it is 30ins x 22 ins, and I have been seeking a nice fish friendly knotlessnet that has a bit of a "traditional" look about it, to complete it .
I have scoured the internet, but cant find anything remotely resembling what I need . I have seen the Snowbee ones, but they are not what I want.
Firstly, it seems that the world of angling suppliers these days either have Carpers as their forefront target audience, and sell nets that would accomodate a medium sized to large double decker bus, or, alternativeley sell smaller pan nets for match anglers.
Where do we fit in ?
It is not a big ask, I think maybe I will end up buying a complete landing net and strip the frame away to use the netting if I can find something suitable .

I must have a half dozen triangular nets of various sizes and have fitted a net from a triangular frame of 26 inch sides that just fits, so really one for a triangular net with about 28 , or max 30 inch sides would be about right.

One other thing whilst I am having a moan. Why dont the people who sell replacement nets give a circumference measurement and depth instead of blindly thinking that everybody uses triangular nets.? I have contacted 3 seperate retailers today, and had replies ranging from "I dont know" to "Why do you want to know that , wont a carp net do "
No it wont b ******y do.

Anyway, rant over, so, anybody have any idea where I could source one ?

Dave

Thanks for the quick replies, Paul, I have had a look at the Gue nets, the mesh is a bit on the big side, but thanks for the idea anyway, Julian, I will have a look at the links you put up, maybe the way forward.

Dave

In the last thirty years or so, don't recall seeing replacement mesh offered for sale for anything but triangular carp nets (32" plus).

Redport Net used to offer a service at very reasonable prices and I used them many times when I was tinkering with spoon nets. You could choose your net type, depth and diameter and they would make them up for you. Think they got absorbed by a larger concern (Sharps?) and service was not so comprehensive. Shame.

Brilliant information guys I'll be ringing Redport tomorrow for myself.

By the way what are peoples thoughts on mesh type?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180417-221103_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20180417-221103_Firefox.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 203
Back