• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reel recommendations

David Potter

I'm looking for a new reel 3000 size with front drag adjustment only to be used for float fishing for Tench 4-5 lb line must have a smooth clutch
Any recommendations ?
Dave

I have the Okuma Trio red core nice little reel.

I have 3 original silver mach 3 040's and find them great for trotting,if i cannot use a pin due to distance needed to cast.I use the 040 instead of 030's because i have big hands.The drag is ultra smooth.I have matched them to my mates expensive daiwa's and they look like the same factory.You also get 3 or 4 aluminium spools,and a nice reel case,some of my spools take 100m of 4lb others 240m 8lb At that price £33 they really are a steal.

I have a Drennan Series 7 Float Reel and for the limited time I've used it, it seems a nice reel. The clutch is pretty irrelevant to me, as I very rarely use one whilst trotting.......

The crazy thing is if you do not like it you can sell i on Ebay ,i have seen second hand one's sell for up to £54,recently.I could not buy the silver, first version new, so had to buy on ebay and paid more than £33 both times. But i think you will really like the reel .

The crazy thing is if you do not like it you can sell i on Ebay ,i have seen second hand one's sell for up to £54,recently.I could not buy the silver, first version new, so had to buy on ebay and paid more than £33 both times. But i think you will really like the reel .

agreed, if you don't like it you should at least get your money back if you sell it on e-bay..
i have the 035 xt front drag, really good value for the money with the 3 spare aluminium spools, option to use single or double handle and a smart reel case for the lot. apart from that the reel is pretty darn good as well... why they have discontinued them i will never know, get one while you can..

I don't have one but the match boys rave about the Shakespeare Mach 3 reel and it's currently laughably cheap at Sports Direct (£33 for a reel that was considered a good reel at £70).

Shakespeare Mach 3 XT Forward Drag 040 Fishing Reel - SportsDirect.com

Hi Just as a foot note my reel arrived yesterday and i must say for £33 delivered its a steel well made and for what i want its perfect just hope i get something pulling my string at the weekend to christen it with !
Thanks Guys
Regards
Dave

David can you please tell me what capacity were the spools you received with the reel

Mark, Comes with 4 spools in total and they are labeled up as follows

1 x 240 Mtrs - 0.25 mm - 8Lb
2 x 100 Mtrs - 0.21 mm - 4Lb
1 x 150 Mtrs - 0.10 mm – Braid

Regards
Dave

Back