• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reel experience day

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter
With the great Garry Mills.
It’s a long post or story if you like so if you get board easy, maybe read something else 😂

Last winter i bought a reel from our float rod guru Chris Jones which, if you’ve seen my previous posts, particularly from the trent, I’ve been battering the life out of. It was bought to cover some niggles that I have with centrepins. The reel in question was a kingpin zeppelin 4.75 mk1 and the biggest attraction to me for this particular reel was its dimensions.

Medium width of 3/4 inch, an arbor size of over 4 inch and generally it’s a very solid, fast retrieval bearing pin that ticked a lot of boxes.

However my strive for perfection made me pick up the phone 5 months ago and give Garry a call. It was a long call.

I wanted a centrepin that ticked every box for me perfectly. Now I’m not sharing an exact specification simply because it’s not relevant.

Its perfect but it’s only perfect for me and it’s a complete 1off never to be replicated again. I’d like to keep it that way. But my wish list was very specific and the best thing was Garry not only said yes to building this for me exactly but he also advised and put in some of his own suggestions on top to make it come together even better.

This pin is for 1 task. Big fish, trotting big floats up to a very long distance in powerful rivers.

So I wanted a black pin. Black for 2 reasons. 1….. its understated and not “hey I’m here hello” like some of these ridiculously blingy things you see.
2 …. Black is 1 of just a couple of colours that can be anodized in type 3 extra hard. Basically the finish is a lot more durable

Strength and light weight were thought about a lot which made me go down the 12 spoke and 18 line pillar route. The line pillars are slightly stepped up in diameter to deal a little more with big fish a long way down in heavy flows.
The Line pillars on this are the same and configured in the exact same way as Garry builds the specific pin for dead baiting and big pike so it’s crazy strong and the 12 spoke design reduces the additional weight that a solid back flange would add.

It was really difficult to decide between 6 or 12 spokes because there’s advantages in both but seen as I don’t use my fingers between spokes to return floats, wanted to shave some additional weight that was added from the stepped up pillars and 12 spokes to me looks a bit better that’s the way I went. But it was very close either way.

After this it was about sizes.
I will have no trouble sending a float down the river like the Trent as far as my eyes can see. This can be 60-70 yards. At a 1:1 gear ratio and even with a good return technique. It’s a laborious, time consuming task bringing a float back from that distance especially if the river is pushing through. To me this is dead fishing time and during the course of the day it all adds up.

I have my line pillars set very high in the flanges to create a line lay diameter pretty much equal to that offered on the zeppelin.
This makes a huge difference to minimizing my dead fishing time.

The over all dimensions were based on the zeppelin but tweaked to make it even better for me and just fit exactly around my hands and how I hold and operate it.
A lot of time was spent playing with pins on rods deciding where and how big stuff needs to be.

Along with return speed the line diameter was very specific for another reason.
It will return exactly 1 yard of line for exactly 3 turns of the handle based on a mean spool diameter which I worked out before giving Garry the dimension. This makes putting 100yards of line on the spool very easy along with the fact it’s useful to quickly calculate trot distances too while in situ. The width is not quite 1 inch but slightly bigger than 3/4 and the overall diameter is slightly smaller than the zeppelin at 4.75 inches but generally the 2 are dimensionally quite similar.

Check lever. I use the check lever all the time on my reels but very rarely will you ever hear them click. For me It is just a spool brake and is the area where the zeppelin mk1 fails drastically because I can’t operate this with 1 hand. I use the check on my reels every time i do a bait change, land a fish make a change to the tackle etc etc, this lever is on and off all day long just to simply stop the spool from moving while im doing something else and it’s absolutely crucial it is positioned on the rim of the back plate, be big enough and really accessible for me to operate with the same hand I use to to hold the rod. Completely 1 handed full operation of the full pin is paramount especially
wading.
So it had to be a Bob James check design. It’s by a mile my personal favorite of any pin I’ve ever used but I improved this check lever design further for me with a slightly stronger spring and a cap that matches the reel handles.
There’s gonna be haters of that long check lever I’m sure, but it’s for me an area of perfect customization as it perfectly suited to the way I use a pin.

After this it’s fairly standard stuff baring one of my favorite custom additions that was actually suggested by Gary.

I hate the fact that cpins don’t have something to clip your line to. So most of us use elastic bands or rap it round something half a dozen times. ……
Not anymore. I have special little handles with rubber o rings pressed into them. Simple but very clever little design that I just had to have without hesitation.
Take your line end and just rap it half a turn round the handle and let it slip into the slot where the o ring sits.
Job done. 100 times better than elastic bands etc.

That’s the reel covered … next post will detail the experience it’s self. Coming Later on!
IMG_6505.jpeg
IMG_6506.jpeg
IMG_6507.jpeg
IMG_6523.jpeg

So a huge part of this road I went down was to do with the fact, Garry will allow you to go and build your pin yourself. To someone like me from a firm engineering background, this is like showing a big puddle of shit….. mud to a pig.

A date was planned and I can tell you it was the longest 2 months of my life waiting for that day to come round.

Garry is a lovely bloke and has a huge amount of knowledge that he will happily share with you all day. His collection of iconic and very valuable reels is astonishing and his work shop is rammed with amazing toys used to build these beautiful reels among other things.
He has 2 Myford ml7 manual lathes identical to ones I have extensively used myself at home which was great, as upon telling him this, I was set my first task of knocking up 36 line pillars and 24 spokes.
IMG_6271.jpeg
IMG_6270.jpeg
IMG_6281.jpeg

I loved it more than I imagined i would becaus there is a lot of manual interaction and I was heavily involved with the manufacturing side not just the assembly.
I rolled all my pins into the spool flanges creating the beautifully finished rivets which is something i didn’t expect to be doing
I really felt like i played a huge part in building my fishing reel.
IMG_6275.jpeg
IMG_6276.jpeg

Now I’m not going to write about every operation involved and I’m not putting any pictures up of the work shop or premises as they are not mine to show or share but I will say if you are wanting a Garry mills pin, get in the car and go build it. It will be 100 times more special and the experience is fantastic.
Best thing is ….. it’s free. You pay only for your reel.

Now that brings me onto my last point. These reels are incredibly well priced for the level of quality that you get. Garry doesn’t buy a single component in. He makes every single part from raw stock. …… yes that includes the handles ……. Yes that includes the screws to hold on your reel foot.

Believe it or not it even includes the end float grub screw. It’s all made there from stock bar. ….. astonishing!

Thanks Richard, beautiful pictures and a great description. Really enjoyed reading your report.
I'm certain this won't be going in a collector's cabinet so, go get us some action shots.

Thanks Richard, beautiful pictures and a great description. Really enjoyed reading your report.
I'm certain this won't be going in a collector's cabinet so, go get us some action shots.
Cheers Mike
Absolutely it won’t be going in any cabinet.
It’s been purposely designed to fish with. 👍🏻

Nice read Richard! Very envious, as I'd love something similar but wouldn't know what parameters to work to.
But then I'd probably not use it all that often if I'm being honest, as its not my go to choice of fishing.... Yet😊

I've been to Gary's workshop, and you could loose a day just chatting with him, & what an enjoyable day to while away the time.

He did me two barbel reels, based loosely on the barbel society editions, but I went with the traditional button check on my reels, with an additional tensioner wheel to fine tune my setup against the varying flows from the current.

We didn't anodise them, for I wanted them to take on the oxidised look of an 'old looking' reel. So all that's needed is the occasional wipe over with an oily rag.

They'll go with my 11ft 2lb Torrix's I've just ordererd from Peregrine Rods....well the girlfriend was away this weekend so I phoned Roger 😂😂

Last edited:
Nice read Richard! Very envious, as I'd love something similar but wouldn't know what parameters to work to.
But then I'd probably not use it all that often if I'm being honest, as its not my go to choice of fishing.... Yet😊
The parameters are very easy Julian but can only come from actual use of afew pins doing a certain task.
You’ll quickly come to realize the things you like and dislike about certain ones and before you know it you’ve got a perfect design suited to you, your likes and your style of fishing.

brilliant Rich ! Garry built my pin the "Turner" in 2009, its based on a Fred J Taylor trotter with a few modifications to make it a one off for me. It did develop a wobble and I literally just picked it up from Garry two weeks ago, its like new now and he wouldn't charge me for restoring it back to perfection. Very nice genuine man is Garry.

brilliant Rich ! Garry built my pin the "Turner" in 2009, its based on a Fred J Taylor trotter with a few modifications to make it a one off for me. It did develop a wobble and I literally just picked it up from Garry two weeks ago, its like new now and he wouldn't charge me for restoring it back to perfection. Very nice genuine man is Garry.
Wow that sounds brilliant Cliff and I love the Reels name….. clever 😎
Send pic when your back home.

Excellent stuff, a great write up!
I bet your made up with your new toy 😎👍.
I know it must of all been interesting, but, one part of the build that interests me is the anodising and how the little barbel and script is attatched. Is it cut into the alloy ? And how is it coloured white?
Or is it a kind of transfer?

Excellent stuff, a great write up!
I bet your made up with your new toy 😎👍.
I know it must of all been interesting, but, one part of the build that interests me is the anodising and how the little barbel and script is attatched. Is it cut into the alloy ? And how is it coloured white?
Or is it a kind of transfer?
The anodized finish is done before I get there. Garry does out source that but it’s a commonly known process
The little barbel is a sketch I did ages ago just messing about and my daughter tidied it all up and got it looking decent with straight lines so it’s something that we drew together and I guess means a little something. Gary’s machine etches it into the anodised finish via a laser. It’s very smart kit.

The anodized finish is done before I get there. Garry does out source that but it’s a commonly known process
The little barbel is a sketch I did ages ago just messing about and my daughter tidied it all up and got it looking decent with straight lines so it’s something that we drew together and I guess means a little something. Gary’s machine etches it into the anodised finish via a laser. It’s very smart kit.

Ah, ok, so is the etch coloured in or is the white appearance the alloy?

Ah, ok, so is the etch coloured in or is the white appearance the alloy?
It’s definitely not coloured. I would say the white is the oxide layer on the aluminum

Going by my old welding days, this is a thin oxide layer that self generates on aluminum after some time. The etching penetrates the anodized layer but probably not hot enough to break any deeper than the oxide layer which melts at 3 x higher than the aluminum itself.
I didn’t ask. I could be wrong but that’s what I think is the case.
You can feel it but it’s very very shallow compared to engraving

It’s definitely not coloured. I would say the white is the oxide layer on the aluminum

Going by my old welding days, this is a thin oxide layer that self generates on aluminum after some time. The etching penetrates the anodized layer but probably not hot enough to break any deeper than the oxide layer which melts at 3 x higher than the aluminum itself.
I didn’t ask. I could be wrong but that’s what I think is the case.
You can feel it but it’s very very shallow compared to engraving

Interesting stuff !

Interesting stuff !
It’s a really cool machine.
You put what you want into the chamber. Line it up and it shows you on your component what it looks like and where it will be. Then you set it exactly in the right place close the little door and watch it etch it on with a laser in less than a couple seconds.

It’s a really cool machine.
You put what you want into the chamber. Line it up and it shows you on your component what it looks like and where it will be. Then you set it exactly in the right place close the little door and watch it etch it on with a laser in less than a couple seconds.

Clever stuff, never seen it done myself but all clever interesting stuff 👍.

Back