• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Redmire

Chris Fox

A friend and I have booked Redmire for the weekend in a couple of weeks... hoping for a few gudgeon and maybe a big eel!

Any thoughts or advice on at least trying for a carp or two??

Just looking forward to having a go there...

i wish i could fish it, i don't know what the stock of carp are like now.

There is no reason why you couldn't.
Booking the water isn't restricted to members of any club or organisation.

Steve

IMG_2178.jpg

Have been keeping checks on the Redmire website... just hoping its not too cold - not just for the fishing - I'm not a big fan of camping in freezing temps!

Dave - there are often weekends or weeks available - check out the website that Jon has linked to.

Steve - great pic mate. Have you fished it or just walked around?

Fished there a few times over the years, absolutely love the place.

Over the years we've had as much success on float fished maggots and worms as we've had on boiiies and the like. On recent visits floaters have done the business mind.

The gudgeon fishing this year was the best I've known it and the eels are making something of a comeback. It was horrendously weedy back in July, though I guess it's dying back now.

Thanks Nigel... was planning to use natural baits like maggots and worms, especially during the daytimes when wandering around the lake. Is it worth taking some deadbaits for the eels?

I've never tried deadbaits for them as there is no way I could bang a Gobio Gobio on the head and I'm not too sure Les would be too keen on deadbaits being brought from another water. They are willing takers of worm and maggot but the biggest eel ive had from there was on a squid boilie at night.

The number of eels in Redmire must be increasing as only a couple of years ago it was possible to fish maggot right into the hours of darkness without eels causing problems but you'd probably be bothered with eels nowadays.

Carpwise, I'd never go to Redmire without tiger nuts which they still seem to love!

Will leave the deads behind then. I was thinking of a stinky sardine or something though!

Thanks again.

Chris

Happy to check with Les re deadbaits and get back to you Chris.

Interestingly we were having a serious conversation this year about the possible effectiveness of a deadbait gudgeon for the larger carp in Redmire....

Nigel, I'll ask on the Redmire forum... happy to try with some big clumps of maggots as that will surely attract them!

Like you, I'm not sure I've got the heart to use a dead gudgeon for bait... that's if I even catch one!

Back