• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Recommended Frozen Boilies

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

I know this question has been asked a thousand times before but I'm keen to get an up to date view on it if possible?

In recent times I've made my own boilies/chopups from John Baker base mixes and flavours that I've got total confidence in. Life is super busy at the moment and I could really do with an option that doesn't involve me making bait.

Can anyone recommend a good quality frozen boilie please? I know the Source usually gets lots of recommendations when this question comes up. I see lots of other smaller companies about who get mentioned on social media etc but it's difficult knowing whether a lot of that is field tester hype. Of course there's Sticky too, but again I'm not sure whether the marketing budget is the influencing factor there.

I'm not too worried about cost as I know you generally get what you pay for. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to tell the world ;)

All recommendations gratefully received :)

Andy F

Hi all,

I know this question has been asked a thousand times before but I'm keen to get an up to date view on it if possible?

In recent times I've made my own boilies/chopups from John Baker base mixes and flavours that I've got total confidence in. Life is super busy at the moment and I could really do with an option that doesn't involve me making bait.

Can anyone recommend a good quality frozen boilie please? I know the Source usually gets lots of recommendations when this question comes up. I see lots of other smaller companies about who get mentioned on social media etc but it's difficult knowing whether a lot of that is field tester hype. Of course there's Sticky too, but again I'm not sure whether the marketing budget is the influencing factor there.

I'm not too worried about cost as I know you generally get what you pay for. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to tell the world ;)

All recommendations gratefully received :)

Andy F
Andy Have you ever considered the idea of dedicating a full day into rolling say half a seasons worth and freezing them. It doesn’t have to be a chore because they freeze and keep well. Rolling is a chore especially if your doing it prior to every session but you could stick to what you have confidence in and just freeze a huge batch.

Atlantic heat from Baitworks.

Use with confidence.
Thanks Ash - my mate has used a Baitworks product with a bit of success, not the flavour you mentioned. His absolutely stank!!! Not a subtle bait though I think he was glugging it too. Is the Atlantic heat heavily flavoured?

Cheers, Andy

Andy Have you ever considered the idea of dedicating a full day into rolling say half a seasons worth and freezing them. It doesn’t have to be a chore because they freeze and keep well. Rolling is a chore especially if your doing it prior to every session but you could stick to what you have confidence in and just freeze a huge batch.
I know you're probably right Rich, and it does make perfect sense, I'm just after an easier life at the moment...

I roll my own and find it a chore as well 😆

I had been looking at outsourcing the rolling and I found a company in Coventry, you provide the base mix and they provide the eggs and labour.

Unsure as to cost but I have no confidence in mainstream baits.

Thanks Richard.

I have tried a rolling service before (not the one you mentioned).

We gave them hundreds of pounds worth of high quality milk protein base mix that we'd sourced and put together ourselves, and said rolling service over boiled ALL the boilies! We ended up with kilos and kilos of boilies like bullets. Never again...

Cheers, Andy

Nutrabaits Trigga and Trigga Ice are always reliable catchers, and although I haven't used Baitworks Atlantic heat, I've heard a lot of good things about it.

That said, I think I'll look into using a milk-protein based bait for when I boilie fish next season, using fish meal to feed fish that we don't eat isn't very sustainable.

I didn't have much success with the Atlantic heat boilie TBH, or Evolved baits spicy sausage. Really hard skinned boilie that one and a strange texture. The paste was a good quality though. I've never been a fan of Krill either, so tend to steer clear of that type of boilie.

I'm using 3FT black Redemption at the moment and quite like them. They're a decent boilie, but expensive shipping.
Vortex CKO seems to be doing well, so may give them a try, especially as they're made nearby so I can collect them.

There's so many good boilies about at the moment, it's difficult to know which ones to try.

the man who invented the boilie was Fred Wilton and I was lucky enough to meet him in the late 60s and became friends got invited to fish with his then ultra secret baits never knew what was in it just given the bags of ready mixed powders and just need to add 6 eggs or 12 for a floater cake and by the 70s became one of the inner circle trusted with all the details made all our own baits for the next 20 odd years but by then it was possible to buy quality baits over the counter
most big names Mainline CC Moore ,,Nutrabaits Sticky baits Nash etc

then MAD baits Vortec Three rivers rolling all make baits more for Barbel but its my honest opinion all the baits made for Carp are equally as effective for Barbel sometime more so!
I still think a good Frozen bait will outfish a shelf life generally
some baits simply cannot be made as a shelf life as they would go rotten for instance mainline Cell is one caught a few nice Barbel on that when other baits were not working just ringing the changes took the spam off one rod and the elips on the other thought I would chuck out a couple of Cell boiles while I cooked my bacon and ended up wit a ridge monkey full of cremated bacon and a 13lb barbel then the other rod went off but lost that one parked the rods and ate my burnt crunchy bacon butty
but my Absolut favourite frozen bait has to be CC.Moor Odyssey XXX I have cast this in European lakes and rivers
that I am pretty certain would have never seen it and always done amazingly well only tried it twice Barbel fishing here in the UK and it worked well both times

but as we ALL know Barbel will eat ANYTHING and some baits will leak out fish attracting smells/tastes better than others Im convinced Frozen baits do this better than any shelf lifes

I didn't have much success with the Atlantic heat boilie TBH, or Evolved baits spicy sausage. Really hard skinned boilie that one and a strange texture. The paste was a good quality though. I've never been a fan of Krill either, so tend to steer clear of that type of boilie.

I'm using 3FT black Redemption at the moment and quite like them. They're a decent boilie, but expensive shipping.
Vortex CKO seems to be doing well, so may give them a try, especially as they're made nearby so I can collect them.

There's so many good boilies about at the moment, it's difficult to know which ones to try.
I like smaller boilies so always trim down the 16mm AH boilies so they’re more like a dumbbell
Always seem to fish better but no science behind this- they just do

Back