• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Recommend me a little front drag 3000/4000 match reel.

Haydn Clarke

Senior Member & Supporter
So I’m after the above mentioned size reel but I’m so out of the loop with new kit that I know nowt about what‘s about.

Most of my fishing is either c’pin, or if I am fishing fixed I have my dearly beloved 3 x Shimmy Stradic x,’s. But I’m after something dedicated for float fishing that I can leave on my power float rod. I did once have a Fox 3000 match reel but it was the most hateful little bastard of a thing that would never relinquish its spools without minutes of wrestling and in use it was a constant game of twist’n’shout: the reel twisting the line in the most horrible and relentless way, and me shouting loudly and with steam coming out of my ears. Such was the contempt I felt for this piece of Junk, I couldn’t bring it upon myself to sell it, thus inflicting this trouble on some other poor sod, preferring to take it to the tip and throw it very hardly and with great satisfaction into the metals bin, even though it still looked brand new.

So after a huge digression here I’m looking to get some advice that hopefully means I don‘t repeat the above. Budget about a one’r but don’t mind going a little higher if it’s worth it. Must be front drag either 3000 or preferably 4000, just in case it finds it’s way onto an Avon or ledger rod. Any ideas chaps?

Hi
The cadence range is excellent
I use a CR8 and 10 that are well in your budget
Great line lay, lovely smooth clutch - simply cannot fault them
I used last week from trotting for dace, tip fishing for chub / barbel and believe it or not I also did a bit of piking and landed a scraper double- all on these reels
Same reels different lines / braid obviously

Haydn, if you are a stradic fan like me, then these are great, very very light, no anti-reverse tho which some don't like. I use mine for trotting for barbel.

Ive been using the Drennan FD reels in both 3k and 4k sizes (float and tip rods) for a few years and incredibly impressed with them for the money (55£ i think from memory. Really smooth and balanced, still feel 'tight' mechanically' plus three spools included and designed so you dont need backing from a 100 meter spool.

have a look at Daiwa TDM reels, lovely smooth clutch and quick drag. The TDR is also a stunning reel, considerably more expensive but built to last a lifetime, you often see bargains online

Thanks for the replies. Some food for thought there. Problem seems to be lack of stock at the moment. Plenty of cheap crappy stuff about but uk stock On some of the higher end stuff seems to have been exhausted.

Take a look at the Daiwa Legalis LT, a superb reel that feels much better than its price (£60 ish). They are really smooth and have a good clutch I have a couple, I am a big fan of the Shimano stradic Ci14's also but for the price unless you are a tackle tart they are better value for money.
Mine are used for lure fishing so get much more use than normal and are standing up well to constant casting and retrieving.

Following this with interest having just got into float fishing for barbel and getting frustrated with winding back in with a centrepin at the end of the trot.

The Cadence CR6 buy one get one free offer looks good.....except they have no stock. Spoke to someone who got in quick and bought a pair and he told me he is pleased with them.

The cadence ones do look appealing. I can’t see the CR8 previously mentioned though. maybe discontinued?. Do they ever do the BOGOF on the higher end reels does anyone know?

Talking about the lower end reels, anyone had any experience of the Daiwa Ninja?
I have one for my longer range float work (out of pin casting range) and on my perch/chub rod - absolutely love them, unbeatable for the money in my opinion.

The cadence ones do look appealing. I can’t see the CR8 previously mentioned though. maybe discontinued?. Do they ever do the BOGOF on the higher end reels does anyone know?
They have before, it's usually around christmas time they do alot of their deals. As they offer alot of the deals at their trade shows/meets I believe the ones offered on the site this year were to account for the fact that with covid no trade shows were on.

I got the CS5 4000 on a bogof deal and gave the spare one to my Dad. After using it for both roach and barbel on the float in 4 and 6lb lines respectively, I'd be more than happy to pay full price for it. Comparing this to the Daiwa Ninja in the same price range, on the retrieve there is a significant difference in the smoothness, the Ninja feels like it wobbles about considerably more. Also the spool is a fair bit closer to the stem on the ninja so if you have larger hands, you get some serious knuckle damage.

Back