• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Recent River Great Ouse nitrate levels

Chris Guy

How's your local river doing?
1000033909.jpg

Do we know when the samples were taken? We stopped spinning on nitrogen and phosphates on the land a couple of months ago now, plus we don't apply the stuff with risk of run off because it's very expensive and also illegal.

I’ve never heard of Earthwatch and I assume they have commissioned test kits for the project. I’m also assuming that whomever specified that kit is better qualified than I, but, that is what I would consider a low range Nitrate kit. A testing window for that parameter would typically be 0-100 rather than 0-5 and that does make me question the validity of the result. Further, with my tin foil hat on, the motivation of the distributor but il park that thought pathway.

Personally I don’t think 5ppm is high for a freshwater environment. The cut off for drinking water is 50ppm by the way. A river with no Nitrate would be a dead river or certainly a very unhealthy one. Nitrate is toxic to freshwater fish, more so than saltwater but we’d be looking at a huge increase, beyond the testable range here, for a negative impact. IIRC the danger level for fish in a marine environment is around 2000ppm. Nitrite and moreover Ammonia are the nasty ones within the nitrogen cycle. What’s more interesting is the ratio between nitrate and phosphate, which are end products, I’d expect a bigger difference like a factor of x100 n to p as opposed to a factor of 10 and the indicators that’s provides us about the biology of the system as a whole.

It’s all very interesting and good on everyone who participates in these citizen science projects.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what reading I would be taking from that Nitrate test? Somewhere just below 5?

5mg/l is reasonably high, but I would say very high for late May-early June as it's not a time of year one would expect farmland to be leaching higher rates of nitrate. That said, it has been a wet spring and there is plenty of land uncropped that has the potential to be leaching higher than expected amounts of nitrate.

It is difficult to look at one test in isolation and draw any conclusion from it. The real value in these tests is looking at the trends over the year, based on regular sampling and in particular looking at variations in results between sampling sites. It's all good citizen science and the more of this sampling undertaken the better.

I googled it apparently the US expect a lot less nitrogen in their water compared to UK.

Nitrogen and Phosphorus in Streams in Agricultural Watersheds

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (.gov)
https://www.epa.gov › system › files › documents

What is a healthy nitrogen level in rivers?

To identify at-risk surface water bodies and protect them from eutrophication, the US EPA developed guidelines, which state that N concentrations should not exceed 0.3 mg·L−1 in streams and rivers or 0.1 mg·L−1 in lakes and reservoirs [6].25 Mar 2014

Total Nitrogen Concentrations in Surface Water of Typical Agro​

National Institutes of Health (NIH) (.gov)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › articles › PMC3965473

Search for: What is a healthy nitrogen level in rivers?

What are the acceptable levels of nitrate in rivers in the UK?

The UK standard is based on the World Health Organisation's guideline value for drinking water, which is also 50 mg/L. This level is intended as a safeguard against methaemoglobinaemia.

Make what you will of that

I'm not sure what reading I would be taking from that Nitrate test? Somewhere just below 5?

5mg/l is reasonably high, but I would say very high for late May-early June as it's not a time of year one would expect farmland to be leaching higher rates of nitrate. That said, it has been a wet spring and there is plenty of land uncropped that has the potential to be leaching higher than expected amounts of nitrate.

It is difficult to look at one test in isolation and draw any conclusion from it. The real value in these tests is looking at the trends over the year, based on regular sampling and in particular looking at variations in results between sampling sites. It's all good citizen science and the more of this sampling undertaken the bett

It would be great to see local universities to be engaged in this type of testing.
At least there's something positive happening in this area.
I saw a couple of uni students taking samples from the Ivel a couple of years back, to test for suspended micro plastics.

Need to be careful that you’re comparing apples with apples when you’re looking at this. Different publications will give nitrate level as N or NO3.

To convert N to NO3 multiply by 4.43.

Agree with other comments regarding comparators. The N figure could be 5 or 10. Conceivably higher than 10 depending on the range of the kit.

I have been involved with the Angling Trust testing and agree with Joe regarding looking at trends and larger data sets.

The citizen science projects are another useful tool in gathering data to put pressure on water companies and the regulators.

There’s no denying what we all know though regarding the poor state of the vast majority of rivers we fish 😢

Just seen this ,different river, but i wonder what the levels are like downstream of it.

As the guy says its the 21st century, absolutely scandalous. :mad:

Back