• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Question for the rod action/build experts?

Neil Blood

I have 2 Barbel rods, which I use with a centrepin exclusively and if I fish the line off the top of the pin (as I prefer), the line doesn’t touch the last line guide, nearest the reel. Does this negatively affect the rod’s action, whilst playing a fish?

I'm no expert, but I'd say minimally at the very most. Have you looked at how the line lies in your guides under maximum tension? If your 2 rods are identical then maybe look at the action under maximum stress with line coming off the top with one rod, and off the bottom with the other? I have my line coming 'off the top' and have never seen it as an issue.
N.b.. I s'pose you could always fit a smaller butt line guide if it does trouble you.

From experience to date, I don’t believe it is an issue; however I am just curious? One is a Perigrine Paul 4 Barbel rod and the other a custom build, with similar ringing i.e two butt rings close together to aid pulling loops for casting. With the line off the bottom of the pin, all line guides touch the line; however with line from the top of the pin, it’s shoots straight through both bottom line guides and makes contact with the 3rd line guide up.

Under moderate pressure, the line still appears not to make contact with the bottom 2 butt rings.

Neil : When I "designed and built" the prototype Paul4 Barbel Rods (the same two that I use today) I didn't consider anyone having line coming off the top of the reel. But I can't imaging that there would be any problems if the line didn't contact the line guides. In fact don't line guides do just that, guide the line (to the curve of the rod under load), so nothing I can see that would cause concern.

I'm sure Bob will have a view :)

You're going to send me out into the garden to try this out now :(, IF I get some respite from my 3 yr old grandaughter :D

Paul, she is only 3. You wait till she is 6+, and following grandad everywhere. Grandad, can you make me this, grandad can you paint me that, grandad what is this for?
You need to lie down and have a kip when sees gone.
Luv 'm to bits though.

Can’t see it makes much difference Neil,.... if you test the action of a rod, pressure is applied from the tip.
I would have thought that when a rod is bent round at full t.c. one or two of the eyes would be almost redundant towards the tip end as they would be pointing towards the fish?
I’m more fussy with beach casters that have to be rung for multipliers though,... smaller butt eye and more rings to keep the line off the blank, .. the last point being the most important.

Paul, she is only 3. You wait till she is 6+, and following grandad everywhere. Grandad, can you make me this, grandad can you paint me that, grandad what is this for?
You need to lie down and have a kip when sees gone.
Luv 'm to bits though.
She's the youngest of four, eldest 6+, so have been through a fair range. Grandad is their Mr. Mender for all things broken, makes me chuckle when I get a bag of bits.

Yes, love 'em to bits.

Just get a dog spike and a rope and take her fishing with you Mike ,that's what I did with my two when they were little :D

Thats a bit steep Mike , tying kids up and tethereing them to the bank whilst you entertain yourself with Pisctorial persuits .. not sure what the NSPCC would make of that , you could tell them that they were both on "childline" I suppose.
:D:D

David.

You’re a wicked man Mr Whiteing :) ......I want one for my youngest Grandson....LOL

Thats a bit steep Mike , tying kids up and tethereing them to the bank whilst you entertain yourself with Pisctorial persuits .. not sure what the NSPCC would make of that , you could tell them that they were both on "childline" I suppose.
:D:D

David.
Very good David :D. Before they learn't to swim they were tethered to avoid drowning , I don't think it did any long term harm ......

She's the youngest of four, eldest 6+, so have been through a fair range. Grandad is their Mr. Mender for all things broken, makes me chuckle when I get a bag of bits.

Yes, love 'em to bits.

Least you can give them back. My two year old already brings me broken things and says... “daddy fix it”

Back