• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

PVA/Mesh/string recommendation

Hi

Could anyone recommend a good pva mesh, bag and string to buy. Will be filled with mini pellets and crushed boilies. Would like to put normal hemp in ideally but that would probably melt the bag. I’ve always used feeders really and not had much luck with bags. I’m always paranoid that they haven’t melted. Thanks

Steve, look for PVA Products, there stuff is good and quick delivery. But check there home page and also ebay. Sometimes they have a 3 for 2 offer which is only on one site. They have a fine mesh option which is good for small particle baits.
I've not tried this, but someone told me if you semi dry the hemp on paper towel then sprinkle with salt it will keep the pva intact long enough to cast out.

Steve, look for PVA Products, there stuff is good and quick delivery. But check there home page and also ebay. Sometimes they have a 3 for 2 offer which is only on one site. They have a fine mesh option which is good for small particle baits.
I've not tried this, but someone told me if you semi dry the hemp on paper towel then sprinkle with salt it will keep the pva intact long enough to cast out.
That’s great, thanks Mike

Stuff I use is the fox edges slow melt system and puts fish on the bank for me melts no problems 👍

I use the wide 35mm

I use ‘carp craze’ PVA mesh. Very good stuff and a sensible price. Available in various diameters. Previously I used ESP.

I tried some from ‘Bank tackle’ and it was very heavy gauge - so If you want some thicker stuff, try that.

Do you attach them with string, tie it around your lead or hook them on?
Steve,
I either nick the hook thru’ the bag or use a PVA “clip” on the lead swivel. Handy little devices

Sometimes use two bags and put one in the clip and one on the hook.
Regards
Bill

Another vote for Carp Craze PVA mesh. Was initially reluctant to move away from the bigger brands because I found some go baggy and have sporadic melt times, but this stuff has not disappointed.

Overhand knot in the mesh means you can ditch the PVA string. I use a golf ball sized bag on the hook in slower water and a PVA clip in faster conditions.

Last edited:
Hi

Could anyone recommend a good pva mesh, bag and string to buy. Will be filled with mini pellets and crushed boilies. Would like to put normal hemp in ideally but that would probably melt the bag. I’ve always used feeders really and not had much luck with bags. I’m always paranoid that they haven’t melted. Thanks
its very easy to make hemp PVA friendly simply add plenty of SALT and bingo
as far as PVA goes over the years tried most makes but IMHO the Rolls Royce of PVA is without question this

Back