• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

pva bags / hemp / salt

Lee Williams

any idea what the ratio of salt to water I would need to use to cook 4 pints of hemp at a time, I always do my hemp in 4 pint batches so just need to know mow much salt to put in, to stop the hemp melting pva bags

also has anyone used the pva cable ties ? I use them by putting the lead and particles inside a big pva bag, then twisting the bag, quick cable tie round it, have found they take about ten mins to dissolve, found them very useful.

I copied this off the internet, looks like you cook hemp normally then add salt.

HOW TO MAKE PARTICLES PVA FRIENDLY Until now, using particles in a PVA bag was almost impossible. Take one of the greatest carp attractors of all time, hempseed for example. If you dried it out a little before you put it in your PVA funnel web you will find that some of it floats and some can still melt the bag if it’s a little too damp. Most other particles are the same, but carp legend and previous CARPology writer, Pete Regan has found a very simple, yet very attractive-to-the-carp solution.Start by putting some water into a bait tub and then add some salt. Next, place a couple of bits of funnel mesh into the solution and see if it melts. If it does, add some more salt and repeat this process until it doesn’t dissolve. Next, transfer a few handfuls of particles into the salty solution, swill it around and then just tie up your funnel web PVA bags as normal; you don’t even need to be that careful as the salty water will not melt the PVA. Better still, you will also notice that once the salty water gets onto the PVA, it will shrink, making the bag really tight. And better than that, salt is incredibly attractive to carp, so it’s actually making the PVA bag even more irresistible to the carp!These particle PVA bags can then be fired out with a catapult – a perfect alternative method to using a noisy spod, and once submerged in the water, the PVA will melt as normal.

Just hook it through the mesh twice or if your casting far out hook it on where the lead is using mesh hooks or even snap tackle

One thing I’ve found useful with using wet bait around pva, if using a stocking, dip it in some fish oil before using and it makes the melting time go up quiet a bit, that combined with the salt with give you good time to work with it... or for that matter could even use hemp oil to aid. Can get some very good hemp oil from Tesco for £6

Back