• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Problem with Google Chrome

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

We currently have a problem with our main BFW menu when viewed using the latest version of the Google Chrome browser. Here's the menu:

https://barbel.co.uk/top.htm

Are they any web experts out there who may be able to help? I put the thing together in Fireworks and haven't a clue where to start when trying to fix something that's browser specific!

Any help appreciated...

Thanks,
Andy F

I've had a quick look, Andy. I can see where the problem lies, and I'll try to explain:

Ignoring the all the other rows (such as the row with the BFW logo in it), lets look at just the rows which form the two rows of buttons. The top row of this part contains the buttons from 'home' to 'gallery'. The bottom row contains the buttons from 'shop' to 'faq'.

But between these rows is a extra row which contains only the lines between the top and bottom rows. The row is only 1px high, but it actually contains some links.

For some reason in Chrome, when you mouse-over a button in the top row, it picks up the link from the cell below, from that thin middle row.

Some of the links in this middle row are old ones. For example, the cell which is sandwiched between Reviews and Members contains this link: http://p081.ezboard.com/fbarbelfishingworldfrm2. This redirects to the 2006-07 River Reports page!

In Internet Explorer, you can actually click on the line between the Reviews and Members buttons and it will also go to this old link. Try it! You'll know when your mouse is in the right position because both the Reviews button AND the Members buttons become highlighted.

There is a simple solution which should work: just find the links in the middle row (if you can) and replace each one with the matching link from the the cell above it.

I hope I've explained this well enough for you to understand! PM me if you need further help, although I'll be out between 3.30 and perhaps 8pm.

Andy

I used it for a while and then abandoned it and returnad to "explorer". It seemed better in lots of respects but seemed very reluctant to load up Hotmail. Probably me, as I am a computer illiterate

I used it for a while and then abandoned it and returnad to "explorer". It seemed better in lots of respects but seemed very reluctant to load up Hotmail. Probably me, as I am a computer illiterate
Probably not you. There's not a lot of incentive for Microsoft to make sure their flagship email package works in their competitor's browser.

Bryce just use Mozilla firefox as a browser, it is faster and - well - just better. If you load the Ad Block Plus addon as well you can stop all those annoying pop ups. Never looked back since I changed over.

Conrad

Did use firefox before Chrome actualy, can't think why I didn't go back to it. I'll have another look at it in a couple of weeks as I'm off to the Gambia for a sunshine and birding holiday, OH! and an odd fish or two

Back