• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Problem with baby baitrunner 2500

Brian Willson

Senior Member & Supporter
I must say that i have found these posts very interesting, i purchased two baby Shimano reels for this season, one of them i have not yet used, it seems that my confidence in them at the moment is very low because of two seperate incidents, the first was when i was fishing the margins and my rod tip bent over and the spool of the baitrunner started spinning off a fair old rate of knots, i lifted the rod, turned the reel handle, so as to disengage the baitrunner, but this never happened, the spool kept on spinning, i then put my finger on the spool to stop it spinning, i then found that the clutch on the spool had loosened off, this i had to tighten, i did however land a Barbel of 12lb12ozs, but this was not good, i then wondered if it was something that i had done, i tried testing the reel, the clutch was set, the baitrunner was set and it all looked ok, so that was that, so i thought..........Last night the same thing happened, i again was very fortunate to land a Barbel of 8lb 8ozs, i phoned Shimano this morning and was told that there could have been a pin sticking when the rod was under pressure, i have sent the reel back to them for inspection.
Has anyone had a problem with the new baby baitrunners with the front drag, for years i have used the Aero 4000 with the fighting lever, never a problem, and a great reel.

Last edited:
Nope, no problems on any of my baby (2500 and 4000) sized baitrunners.
However, no mention has been made as to what models we are talking about.

As far as I'm aware, in 2500 size you can get STFA, DLFA and XTFA.
In 4000 size you add the Ds to the list above. I have Ds and XTFAs and know that the drag on the Ds and XTFAs are different to the drag on the STFA and DLFA.

I have read about the clutch loosening thing before but have never experienced it myself. I suspect it may be something restricted to the STFA and DLFA. If not then I'd wonder about how lightly the baitrunner drag (rear) has been set by those encountering the problem.

I've been using a DL4000FA for over a month, and have hooked fish under the rod tip and a little further out and had no problems engaging the clutch after the the initial run on the bait runner.

I have not had any of the problems you indicate on my 2500, I am not however happy with the line lay on the spool it puts too much line towards the front of the spool.
I probably use my 4000's much more and have not had any problems with those either.

Hi Guys,
many thanks for your replies, my reel is a 2500 DL FA, your comments have been noted, i have used my other 2500, i only had one eel, and that did tear off, and the reel seemed ok, but only time will tell.
I will let you all know what Shimano has to say, and lets hope there was a defect that has been fixed.
Brian.

Back