• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Pre-Megabelly Carp Fishing

Nice one Paul, well worth the read.:)

Good read that Paul , note that the 44 lb er was regarded as the ''British Empire record '' . I wonder what the pre Indian independence Masheer record was ?

120 pounds, Kabini River, South India, 1946, caught by a great angler I got to know quite well when he was near-ancient and I was in my twenties - J. de Wet Van Ingen of Mysore.

Great read, would love to step foot around Redmire, so much history

Magic!
I wonder if he was using 4 rods and fishing over a 10kg bed of boilies?:)

Nah, more likely a half hundred weight of part boiled diced potaoes. Plus a few handfulls of bread mash laced with honey....:D:D:D:D
(spods hadn't been devloped by this point in time and suffering from arm ache after pulting all those spuds in, called it a day early) (to think if he'd kept baiting up, the first British empire 50lber may have succumbed):rolleyes::rolleyes: Pot belly an' all!!:eek::eek:

He only used two rods that night as had only mastered building one bite alarm by then:p.

colin, spods wasnt but throwing sticks was;) long stick with a can taped to the end of the stick, most carp fishing in those days was around 5-25 yards,
hard fishing was putting it mildly, 1st find a water that held carp, that alone was a good acheivement then in those days it was told that carp could only be caught between june -- september/early october:eek:

Back