• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Pram hood bivvy

Adrian Williams

No Longer a Member
I've been thinking about buying one of these for ages and finally took the plunge before Christmas. However; I've got a bit of a problem connecting and disconnecting the poles, they are very tight and there is not allot of give in the material, does anyone have any tips to make it easier before I get the pipe cutter out and shorten the tubes a bit.

Try wetting the bivvy skin material for a few times prior assembly and in time it should stretch out to a better size for easier erection, I wouldn't reccomend shortening the poles as the hood is best off as taut as possible.
Better bet would be to buy extending poles rather than modifying existing ones, IMO.

a quick rub with a piece of wet n dry emery cloth and wd40 did the trick on my bivvy poles then a clean n a smear of clear grease.....perfickt....:D

Hi Ade

Ensure the tension strap is not connected until after the poles are put together and always connect the outer poles first and the middle last.

Which bivvy?

Cheers
Jas

It's the Dave Lane STI Brolley system 5000, not really a bivvy, more a shelter, though I have got the winter overwrap as well. Tbh it's a quite a bit bigger than I need so I might sell it on if I can't get to grips with the thing.
It has had a seasons use, summer carping, and then been stored for a year before I got my hands on it so I would think the cover has done all the stretching it's going to do, perhaps I just need to work out a bit more.:rolleyes:

Ade,

I have the same bivvy and it's a bit tight putting the poles together but i think it's down to technique to be honest, dont carve the poles up, you'll regret it you know you will..

Tommo

Ade,

I have the same bivvy and it's a bit tight putting the poles together but i think it's down to technique to be honest, dont carve the poles up, you'll regret it you know you will..

Tommo

Thanks for that Tommo. You've confirmed what I thought about the poles and tbh I'm not as strong as I used to be so it's a real struggle, the only way I can get the one set apart is by undoing the knurled nut on the end to release the tension on the skin. There's no real need for them to be that tight so unless anyone else has any suggestions I think I will go ahead with the modifications. As for regrets, I may have a few, but you've forgotten I'm an engineer and it will be a precision job, I'm thinking of removing 3/8" max from one pole only, and that will be done in two steps to get it right...The only carving I do mate is the Sunday roast.

And if I get it wrong there's always ebay:D

STI, that explains it, a great bivvy but a beast to put up and down sometimes, I think the cord inside the poles twist and gradually tensions it more, sold mine in the end and bought a Nash Double Top Extreme (DTE) 1 man, best bivvy I've ever owned and I've tested a few during my carpin years. The DTE Professional is the smallest in the range, will just about fit bechair and tackle in it, ideal for the river and you get the benefit of the peak to stop the rain driving in.

Cheers
Jas

Adrain I got the same one . There is a right way to do mate I practice putting my up in the garden had it for a season for my eel fishing . Not got a bad word to say about it

Back