• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Power Pro super slick 8

I have used powerpro in the past and couldn't realy fault it. It was pointed out to me however by Dave Mason that it stands out like a sore thumb in a clear river and I couldn't disagree. This was using the "moss green" which had faded and bleached

i saw this line advertised earlier in the year ,and thought ,it might offer a slight improvement for trotting with ,if it was actually quieter ,than the current favourite braids ,i've used origanal power pro in the past (for 10 years or so & still have it on my lure fishing reels) but moved to fireline crystal for trotting as it was quieter ,i did try to get some of this slick 8 stuff in march but no one on e-bay had it at the time ,i quite fancied the blue ,i just never found the time or inclination too buy any and forgot about it ,but now i'm reminded about it ,i might just get some to play with in the new year chasing grayling.

another one in the mix is Sufix 832, quite big on the predator scene....

Yes, thanks Jason, I'd seen that, but mostly out of stock.
A friend bought some in the states and seems really impressed - not that good a friend though, as he didn't get any for me!
Seems like ordering from the US might be the best option.

Was sent some from the States last year and i've been using it through the autmn/winter for piking.

My initial feeling was that it was indeed "slick" and slightly stiffer than standard powerpro, however after a couple of months use the coating softens and its more like the old standard version.

to be honest i couldn't say it drastically outperforms the standard version, the biggest advantage is that the timber brown colour i got is much less obvious on the waters i fish than the normal powerpro green.

Stick with the standard version if your ok with one of the green/white/yellow/red options - the price premium of the new stuff is only worth paying if the new brown/blue colours in slick 8 are of major advantage to you.

(lets hope my honest review doesn't stop me getting more samples!:rolleyes:)

Last edited:
i got some ,infact had it on one of my browning revolvers at the BfW grayling fishin earlier this year (i had marine blue) and it cast really well and was very much quieter through the rings ,but that was back in feb and not used that reel sinse (actually i think ,it might be the one i sold) but will be using the line again very soon.

i got mine of ebay from this supplier (i got the 15lbsX150m )

DISCOUNT POWER PRO LINE, DISCOUNT DAIWA REELS items in James Tackle store on eBay!

Power Pro Super slik

Google American Legacy Fishing, they seem to have absolutely all variants of the new Power Pro braid in stock, all colours, spool sizes and b.s. My dealings with them have been excellent and as long your spend is below £50, there is no VAT to pay on importing stuff. They are a great outfit and stuff takes about a week to arrive. They will send you a quote before going ahead and I think P&P is $15. Worth checking them out. PM me for Top Tip about placing an order.

Last edited:
Thanks Steven - just the job and cheap :)
American legacy would work out too expensive for the 150m I want but thanks all the same Jim (interesting site).
Ta for the review Marty - I need some more Powerpro anyway so thought I'd give the super 8 (timber brown) a go.

Last edited:
powerpro super 8 slick

New kid on the block.

PowerPro Super 8 Slick

looks the business, has anyone had hands on yet.

Jon

been using it for my lure fishing jon. very smooth casting and quiet through the rings. i dont use braid for my barbel fishing, always been over the moon with gold label pro clear for that and my carp fishing. btw been over dunham bridge today and walked most of collingham stretch this week. river looks mint. well up and spot on colour wise

Back