• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Powder Coating Leads

Jon Whelan

Morning all,

I am knocking up a few grippers for the forth coming months & looking to dull their fresh glare. I have powder coated bought leads about ten years ago but that was using daft, small sized pots of relatively expensive powder.

A couple questions if I may:

Can anyone recommend a cheap source for more economic coating powders?

Upon removing the hot new leads from the moulds, can these be immediately rolled in the powder?

Maybe over doing it to some but how to 'texturise' the leads? Can I incorporate sand or some other material into the powder coat to achieve this without ruining the final consistency of the coat? Pls note that I will be using 6-8oz leads that will take a battering on the rocks!

Any thoughts appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jon

Ebay or lead mould companies all sell powdercoat.

You'll have to be quick with the leads, otherwise they loose the heat and the powdercoat wont stick.
I drop mine in the powder as soon as I've split them from the mould. I then start to pour my next leads and by the time I lift the first ones out they have taken on plenty of coating.

If you want to add some grit of sand, I would re-heat the leads with powdercoat on them, so the plastic melts, then roll them in sand/grit.
To re-melt the powder coat, I use a blow torch.

Steve

This is what i do when casting leads. I make the required amount i need then trim all the excess off. To coat them simply heat each one with a blow torch and then dip in your powder, if you want textured leads once you have dipped them in powder put the leads in cold water after about 5 seconds. It's easy once you have got the hang of it.
Pm me for cheap powder.

I don’t tend to powder coat my leads.

I cover the lead in Araldite and coat with various grades of gravel from the river (too tight to buy the powder)

Works for me. :)

181020101101-1.jpg

They look good, but how much araldite do you use ? as it's quite expensive

Not if you go to the pound shop and get 4 tubes for a pound!

You do use a fair amount of glue though.

The four leads above used a whole tube, I have tried using less but the gravel does seem to come off fairly quickly, using the amount I have the gravel stays on very well, even the bigger bits.

Tom.

I will give that a go Tom, but i still think powder coating the leads is a cheaper option and you can gravel coat the leads using the powder as glue when it is hot

Not a method I have tried, I will give it a go at some point.

It would be good to find a two pac epoxy that is cheaper when bought in a larger amount.

I will save that job for the closed season when I am really bored!

Tom.

Try mixing gravel/silt with Evo Stik impact adhesive..... then coat the leads with it....

You can do loads of leads with a tub of the impact adhesive......

Sets in a lovely rubbery finish.

Img_2450crop.jpg

Not the best photo, but you get an idea of the finished product.

Steve

Steve,

I have tried Evo Stik impact adhesive but have found that it pealed off and filled my tackle box with gravel!

Glad it has worked for you, I currently have some of the Evo Stik Timebond and it does seem to better.

I just liked the hard texture that you get when using Araldite as it just doesn’t seem to come off.

Each to there own though!

Tom.

Having purchased some gripper lead moulds. i went out and bought some powder coat from a nearby shop. what i found was, that when casting the gripper leads you can quickly place them into the powder and coat them straight away. This gives you a nice shiny outer coat. I didnt like this too much, so i had another brainwave, knowing that the plastic coat melts at 180C, lead melts at 327C, and my oven heats up to 300C, a plan was made.
Heat the oven to 220C with my leads on a tray, extract and coat the leads in the plastic, then while they are still hot, place them into a bucket of dry preferably dark sand or the colour of you river's "bottom" and finally dunk in some cold water. Jobs a good one and well impressed.

Jon

Having purchased some gripper lead moulds. i went out and bought some powder coat from a nearby shop. what i found was, that when casting the gripper leads you can quickly place them into the powder and coat them straight away. This gives you a nice shiny outer coat. I didnt like this too much, so i had another brainwave, knowing that the plastic coat melts at 180C, lead melts at 327C, and my oven heats up to 300C, a plan was made.
Heat the oven to 220C with my leads on a tray, extract and coat the leads in the plastic, then while they are still hot, place them into a bucket of dry preferably dark sand or the colour of you river's "bottom" and finally dunk in some cold water. Jobs a good one and well impressed.

Jon

Remove bread knife from between shoulder blades for stinking out the kitchen and buy the missus some flowers :p

Remove bread knife from between shoulder blades for stinking out the kitchen and buy the missus some flowers :p

I did make sure she was working, but to be honest, there was no mess and hardly any smell. Having only just seem the other examples from Steve and Tom (Nice leads), i am more than happy with my efforts, as they will mostly be be used on the Trent, where such finesse and dedication imo isn't needed.

Araldite

Not if you go to the pound shop and get 4 tubes for a pound!

You do use a fair amount of glue though.

The four leads above used a whole tube, I have tried using less but the gravel does seem to come off fairly quickly, using the amount I have the gravel stays on very well, even the bigger bits.

Tom.

The only "Araldite" worth having is the slow set. IMO the fast set stuff is crud. I don't think the Pound shop stocks slow set. if anyone knows of the slow set, cheap, please let the cat out of the bag!

Another method I use is to coat the lead in the shop bought plastic coating and while the coating is still hot drop the lead into some dried out garden compost, giving instant dung leads, works a treat.

Steve.

Do you save much making your own leads or is it just boys and garden shed toys:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks for all your prompt replies & especially the photo's. Plenty to go at now.

Jason - once I get organised & get the factory line going, it works out okay for me. Find the feeders (Jon F design) more suited to my fishing & bomb proof. Just choosing what to do in the forth coming mid winter getting bulked up in plenty.

Thanks again,

Jon

Back