• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Plenty of advice needed

Wayne Pevy

Hi, I normally fish for pike and carp rubbish at both lol, I caught a barbel last year while carping so thought I would give them a go,
I've recently got a pair of wychwood rouge 2lb barbel rods, hoping there ok,
I will be fishing the trent in Nottingham between stoke weir and gunthorpe bridge (has anyone fished there), what b/s mainline and hook length would I need, and what weight of feeders/bombs,
Will probably have a million more questions to ask too:)
Thanks

Welcome to the site Wayne.
I don't fish the Trent often, but fron what I know your rods will be fine.
As for leads/feeders....obviously it will depend on the flow and how far out you want to fish, but leads and feeders between 1oz and about 6oz should cover most circumstances.
There is a bit of macho BS about how heavy a lead and how far out you need to fish.
All I can say is, if your using two rods, fish one in close and one mid river... That way you can make your own mind up....

As for mainline, on the Severn I use 12lb mono mainline and 10lb mono hooklength.
Again play around with materials and lengths until your happy.

Steve

advise

hi wayne,
i use to live in nottingham, and fishied gunthrope alot and eastbridge,
at gunthrope there is only 4 good pegs on it and its the first 4 as you pass the boat yards as you go on, on that stretch, you fish almost on to the lock wall, were somtimes a barge moored up, there a flow of water you fish into that, but if you get there and you see 4/5 cars or vans, then you will have to fish further down, but if you do get there, and no ones fishing it, then you fish the weir peg, but, im affraid you may need a carp rod, cause you will have to chuck big feeders over,5 oz plus,, i have lost big fish there cause there down in a big gully, and full of rocks and i would advise to use some leadcore for casting them feeders cause you need to give it some welly, dont go more than 2 ft hook lenghts, you will need a lot of feeders, i know so fellows that i used to there alot, and they had barbel out up 16+,
hope this info help you wayne,also if there is a bit of colured water on it, 10 mm halibut bollies do very well on it, dont ask my why, but it does, one of my best sessions on there, when it was up was 18, barbel, 3 of over 9 lb in a session, any tight lines:)

Hi Wayne - those rods will be spot on for most situations where you are fishing. Match them up with 10lb Big Game mono, and maybe 12lb or 15lb on the spare spools for the snaggy swims if you intend to fish those. 10lb will be fine in 90% of the swims coupled with a good hooklink mono like 10lb Ultima Power Match or Prestons Reflo Powerline in 0.21mm. In coloured water you can use 18" to 2' hooklinks but when it's low and clear a long link of 5' or so will get you more bites.

Location wise your best bet in most swims is to fish at the bottom of the near shelf where it drops away - the fish patrol up and down using the edges of the boat channel so if you can find that your half way there. Use a feeder if the channel is a fair way out but on the swims where it is in close you can feed by hand ( hemp ) and fish a staight bomb over the top. Bait wise a 10mm boilie or pellet is a good starting point, go smaller when it's running clear and larger when its up and coloured.

which side of the river are you fishing west or east bank?? Notts Aa have the east bank and Ashfield have the west bank??

Thanks everyone, I've already got some big game in 12lb so will use that, been reading about fluorocarbon hooklink is this any good?,
Also what size hooks do you recommend and do you hair rig your baits

Back