• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Pike

Paul Bullinger

Senior Member & Supporter
Spent a few hours fishing this little pool on the Upper Bure last night. Trotting corn and bread. Caught chublets, dace and roach. Hooked a lovely roach, approaching the one pound mark. Just as I was bringing it to the net there was a huge swirl in the water and, you've guessed it, a huge pike grabbed the roach. I was furious! I thrashed the water with my landing net and after what seemed like an age the pike let go. The poor roach was destroyed though and I felt dreadful. 😔 Kept blaming myself for a lovely roach getting torn to shreds.
20230824_172355.jpg

Spent a few hours fishing this little pool on the Upper Bure last night. Trotting corn and bread. Caught chublets, dace and roach. Hooked a lovely roach, approaching the one pound mark. Just as I was bringing it to the net there was a huge swirl in the water and, you've guessed it, a huge pike grabbed the roach. I was furious! I thrashed the water with my landing net and after what seemed like an age the pike let go. The poor roach was destroyed though and I felt dreadful. 😔 Kept blaming myself for a lovely roach getting torn to shreds.View attachment 25221
Not your fault at all paul it’s just pike doing what they do best.
This time of year particularly they are at their most active and aggressive and they ain’t daft either. They know you are there catching fish and they know it’s an opportunity for an easy meal. I had it earlier in the season when a good 2-3lb chub was hit and torn from my tackle. It’s pretty inevitable with summer fishing when there’s pike about. Don’t let it get to you.

Back