• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Pike lure rod & reel recommendations?

Peter Jones

As per title. After a quality combo that will be used on North Yorks rivers where the main protagonists will be smaller pike and to be sneaked into the boot when we go on families holidays!

Thanks in advance.

Not a recommendation as mine isn't quality (an old Leeda) combined with a half-decent but old Shimano 4000 but I've found it handy as a mackerel rod too for use on holidays to the south-west.

Depends on the car, I've got three! 5' sections will fit in the boot of the holiday car.

Hi Gavin.....I use a Shmano Exage 50-100 gram travel spin rod, can be fished at two different lengths, and will handle fish the size you quote easily, I have had Sharks on mine in Florida , up to about 25 lb or so.. I use it for Deadbait and lure fishing, it works for me.
I match it up with a Braid loaded Shimano 3500 b baitrunner, not now available except second hand, I am sure that Shimano will do a similar but more modern reel, the line lay on my Shimano isnt great, but I have never had any problems with it .

Dave

Have a look at the Drennan E Sox range of rods Peter,...good value imo.
http://drennantackle.com/productDetail.php?category=105
Not sure about being able to fit one in a car boot though.
As for reels you can't go wrong with the Shimano range....
Spinning reels - Shimano
Just depends how deep yer pockets are!
I actually use Penn's for spinning which are built to withstand salt, ( stainless bearings etc) so ok for a bit of bass or mackerel lure work.
I think the Shimmies are a better reel though.
ATB Dave

I've always struggled with Lure Rods. I get why the rods are graded according to casting weight - but surely you need some kind of idea of test curve to give you confidence when it comes to playing a big fish. For example I use a 5 - 30 gram one and have had plenty of pike up to 10b on it. However I've always been concerned about how it would stand up if I hooked into a proper lump.

Richard,...if you look at the Drennan link I included in my previous post, then click on a any rod you we see that the casting weight and tc is given.
Dave

I've always struggled with Lure Rods. I get why the rods are graded according to casting weight - but surely you need some kind of idea of test curve to give you confidence when it comes to playing a big fish. For example I use a 5 - 30 gram one and have had plenty of pike up to 10b on it. However I've always been concerned about how it would stand up if I hooked into a proper lump.

Depends on the quality of the rod and the skill of the angler but its amazing what you can handle on light gear.
This beauty was landed on one of my L1 lure rods, with a casting weight window of 5-28g.

Nearly a case of "I think we're going to need a bigger boat !!" Marty.:eek:
Great pic ,..thanks for putting it up.
Dave

Depends on the quality of the rod and the skill of the angler but its amazing what you can handle on light gear.
This beauty was landed on one of my L1 lure rods, with a casting weight window of 5-28g.

Fantastic fish Marty - top stuff.

I'm interested in the object to your left - presumably for measuring the approx. length of fish so as to avoid having to weigh it? How long did that one measure?

Cheers,

Joe

As per title. After a quality combo that will be used on North Yorks rivers where the main protagonists will be smaller pike and to be sneaked into the boot when we go on families holidays!

Thanks in advance.

Peter,

Have a look at the Mike Ladle range of spinning rods - I've heard very good things about them over the years. I think Veals sell them.

I used a 10/45. 8ft Okuma spinning rod and a Daiwa 3000 reels. Nice and cheap but very, very well made rod. So you don't have to get the top of the range kit. PB of 28lb Pike on the combo. Sorry about the pun but once hooked it's the amount of spinners and lures i bought over the years that cost more. I also use the same combo for sea fishing and dog biscuit floating for Carp.

All advice up to now is good advice and far better than anything I could offer, however I will offer this as an alternative...

If the vast array of different casting weights are a concern, there is an "all round" option - any half decent stalking rod (as long as it doesn't have too soft an action - you want to be setting the hooks, after all) with a test curve of 2 to 2.5lb (no more, no less) will more-than capably cast everything from delicate little spinners up to those big American style b'stards that are as big as the fish you catch on them (exaggeration for effect) and will handle little jacks up to 30lb monsters, with the benefit that you can also confidently swap over to deadbaits on the same rod if the lures aren't producing.

I have a 9ft John Wilson stalker which has been my only lure rod for years now, having previously used (and not really got on with) several proper spinning rods.

As for a reel, as my lure/deadbait wobbling reels get an absolute hammering throughout the year when they're used, I've purposely never spent too much on the reel and have always gone fairly cheap. My current spinning reel, which has been excellent, is the first version of this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KastKing-Sharky-II-Waterproof-Spinning-Fishing-Reel-10-1-BBs-Free-Shipping-/291658637124?var=&hash=item43e8359f44:m:m9FKaKRtQctaDTEWK8MT67A. Decent solid build quality, smooth, excellent retrieve and just the right size and weight. Cannot recommend it enough for the price.

Back