• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Perch-Guess the weight !

Dave Bartell

Senior Member & Supporter
Gents, I'm gonna come clean from the start, I've never done a lot of big Perch fishing in the past but have been seriously thinking about targeting them this year as they are such good looking buggers and feisty with it. Last week whilst fishing a small Rudd ( all year classes ) lake/pond I had a Pavarrotti of a Perch hit one that I was bringing in and held on long enough to be netted. I take no credit for this fluked fish and am not really a numbers person but having never had a really big stripey on the bank curiousity has got the better of me . I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to the weight due to my own inexperience of the larger examples of the species and so throw myself at the feet of you seasoned Perchers as I see so many Perch in the weeklies that I feel do not warrant the weights quoted. After resting it in the landing net I trudged off to my adjacent accommodation and dug out my Reuben Heaton 9000's to weigh it. Surprise, surprise, after putting the batteries in they started playing up. Changed the batteries, still the same, so just settled on the photo ( as you can see, a creative eye is not one of my fortes ! ).

If it helps, the cork section visible on my rod handle is 41cm long.

Not easy I know but any guesstimates ?

Anyway, a win-win situation. I fluked a decent stripey and even the Rudd which it had gorged down its throat swam off when returned ! Result !

I've also posted this up on a predator forum but as I know there are some good all-rounders on here I thought I would pick your brains. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Perch.JPG
    Perch.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 398
Yep it was well nourished Mike ! :D
Thought it might be spawn bound at first but looking at where it was living ( and the apparent lack of other Perch in the water ) I could easily understand how it could become such a belt-buster. Pretty much living in Perch Nirvana !
Anyway, as I say, a total fluke although a nice fluke all the same :)

Dave. It's very hard to judge from photo's.
I've had quite a few so far this year to 3.9. But as another of 3.2 raised a couple of eyebrows querying weight.
Luckily I had a witnesd to the weighing.
It is suprising the size of bait they will take. 6oz size roach for pike gave me ones over 4lb.

I have no hesitation in saying thats around a minimum 4.8 IMO and a cracking perch and great catch.
It counts as well as any others caught.

Back