• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Penn Slammer Live Liner 460

phil is this reel a made in china or a made in the usa? evidently they are making them in china and people say they are ****...:eek:

Only going by reports that i have read Lads...

Dave dont burn them just pass them onto me.....:)

To be honest I am sceptical about Chinese mechanical things especially reels, but seeing that most of the things are made over there now it's a narrow market, that's why I am sticking to the older Shimano's at least I know the gears are not made out of chocolate ;)

I have the Liveliner, and the washer on the spindle failed, it's a nylon one, totally useless for the job, even the replacement failed. Now the spool rubs a bit on the rotor. :(

I'll leave it in the car park for you Phil next time you are up this way ;)

I have 2 Liver Liners 460L which I bought last year and have just checked the boxes and both made in China . Personally I think they are brilliant reels and as yet I have had no problems with them . I have used leads and feeders weighing up to 10 ozs on the Lower Severn and had Barbel up to 13lb and they still sound as good as the day I bought them .

I have 2 Liver Liners 460L which I bought last year and have just checked the boxes and both made in China . Personally I think they are brilliant reels and as yet I have had no problems with them . I have used leads and feeders weighing up to 10 ozs on the Lower Severn and had Barbel up to 13lb and they still sound as good as the day I bought them .

13lb Barbel ! You need to up your game Joe, if the reports are right you might need a pair of Abu multipliers.

ok guys... to be fair i've only used the reels this season so can't say about long term but up to now they've been fine.. i have 3 but use 2, had plans for the other but it's not going to happen so i thought i'd might as well sell it.. i'm not really bothered whether i sell it or not but if the reports that john has mentioned and then Neils reel then i might need it for spares...lol...
Neil... you could use the reel for a xmas tree decoration..lol.. i'll have a look in the car park to see if you have dumped it...
Dave's is a smouldering wreck so no spares there then...
this thread can just melt away into obscurity now....

The reels look sturdy enough and probably are to be fair, just that washer thing with my one, I should take it to the Penn service chap in Pershore, how lucky I am to have him so close.... he is a bit mad as well like the rest of us :)

They are a bit garish it's true, and I do like to back wind, so you can always make me an offer :cool:

Are you planning a visit again soon Phil? lot more colour should fish well, but make sure it's not actually raining, 'flippin like Bambi on Ice the other day:p

I still cant make my mind up on these reels.....:D

The new version of this reel is the Spinfisher V LL which looks pretty much the same with a few cosmetic tweaks. Don't know if the washer is the same on this latest model.

They are using them on that Ben Fogle/Matt Hayes 'Big Fish' series currently on BBC2

If they're good enough for Tarpon and ol' Snaggletooth then that'll do for me !

The reels look sturdy enough and probably are to be fair, just that washer thing with my one, I should take it to the Penn service chap in Pershore, how lucky I am to have him so close.... he is a bit mad as well like the rest of us :)

They are a bit garish it's true, and I do like to back wind, so you can always make me an offer :cool:

Are you planning a visit again soon Phil? lot more colour should fish well, but make sure it's not actually raining, 'flippin like Bambi on Ice the other day:p

i have no idea when i'm likely to be up again Neil, still laid up with my back and been to physio again today.. GP gave me a note for another month this morning so can't see it being this year... now if there was a stairlift in peg one?.... be there tomorrow...lol...

To be honest I am sceptical about Chinese mechanical things especially reels, but seeing that most of the things are made over there now it's a narrow market, that's why I am sticking to the older Shimano's at least I know the gears are not made out of chocolate ;)

I have the Liveliner, and the washer on the spindle failed, it's a nylon one, totally useless for the job, even the replacement failed. Now the spool rubs a bit on the rotor. :(

I'll leave it in the car park for you Phil next time you are up this way ;)

Is it not possible to get a washer of the same dimensions, but a different material to do the same job:confused: Just a suggestion :)

Stephen

P.S. I am no engineer

Back