• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Pellet feeder

Iain Tutt

Been trying out a new method to me, a pellet feeder. The Guru hybrid in-line type. Now I've had some very good successful sessions on a Stillwater, catching Carp and Bream. Would this type of feeder and 2 and 4mm pellets work in rivers?. Or would the pellets just wash away downstream leaving me with just a pellet hook bait?

I don't think I'd be wrong in saying that pellet feeder is the most popular method for barbel these days.
Not always the best method however.

As you say it may not be the best way to attract fish but after nearly 46 years of river fishing, i like to try new ways to catch every now and then. I think I'll give a chance if it doesn't work then it back to my old school ways of meat and Maggots.

It's devastatingly effective on the upper Lea, so much so that I now rarely use the method as it's made Barbel fishing a bit boring.
If I was trying for Barbel elsewhere it would be the method I'd use and feel very confident of catching any Barbel present.
I use a large cage feeder with 4 and 6mm Halibut pellets. Dampen down some for about an hour and use these to plug each end of the feeder, light pressure , filling up with dry pellets. Band or hair rig the hookbait on a suitable sized book. I've used anything from 6mm on a 14 up to 16mm on a 2..
Cast out and wait for the three foot twitch. Re fill the feeder at intervals to suit the conditions.
I usually touch ledger with braid mainline and can feel if there's any fish around the feeder.
Edit
Shortish nylon hooklink and as with any method works well in darkness and coloured water.

It's devastatingly effective on the upper Lea, so much so that I now rarely use the method as it's made Barbel fishing a bit boring.
If I was trying for Barbel elsewhere it would be the method I'd use and feel very confident of catching any Barbel present.
I use a large cage feeder with 4 and 6mm Halibut pellets. Dampen down some for about an hour and use these to plug each end of the feeder, light pressure , filling up with dry pellets. Band or hair rig the hookbait on a suitable sized book. I've used anything from 6mm on a 14 up to 16mm on a 2..
Cast out and wait for the three foot twitch. Re fill the feeder at intervals to suit the conditions.
I usually touch ledger with braid mainline and can feel if there's any fish around the feeder.
Edit
Shortish nylon hooklink and as with any method works well in darkness and coloured water.

Hi Iain ...I'd agree with all of above except I'd not say it was always a "devastating" method. It's a method that's used a hell of a lot, and catches a lot of barbel, but other methods certain have 'their own day'. One thing I would add though is.. if you wish to incorporate some chopped meat pieces into your feeder mix then I've found method type feeders much better than cage feeders. Meat particles can get stuck inside cage feeders, but it generally does add to the stickiness of the mix.. which can be an advantage in flowing water (esp with methods/'hybrids').

Try...
Roll your meat in fine crumb before putting into feeder ,
Crumb soon disapears and leaves meat room to wash out.
Just dont ram it in !:rolleyes:

I used to push meat through a riddle and then mix with crumb , worked well.

On the Severn I generally use 4 to 6mm pellets soaked in river water for 20 minutes then fill a 3 to 4oz open ended feeder and lightly squeeze them in. This has been very successful for a number of years. A 3oz feeder is enough to hold on the Arun in normal circumstances, but a bit too heavy for the Rother. I make my own feeders from hair curlers and a 3oz dead cow. Hook links are anything from 18" to 5ft .

I used to make my own feeders from the packs from pound land. Colin your not the chap i meet at stemps a couple of weeks ago. We were talking about cork handles.

Back