• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Peanuts

Hi, anyone done any good with peanuts for barbel?
Chris I tried them back in the 80s on the Kennet caught a few on them too,they need to be prepared properly they were soaked in water with salt added and then boiled we also used them with hemp.I think there are a lot better baits available these days.

Hi, anyone done any good with peanuts for barbel?
Be careful a lot of fish have been killed in the past its why lots of carp lakes have banned them THIS is a good read

Used Tiger nuts back in the 90's looking for something different on the Great Ouse. No Barbel but every Carp in the section ended up in the area I pre-baited. Seem to remember reading around the same time Stuart Morgan tried Peanuts on the Bristol Avon using two rods one on Peanut the other on Boilie he caught large numbers on Boilie and struggled on Peanut

Have you been watching a lot of carp fishing films lately Chris?
Respect the thought, But peanuts Nah...
Not watched any carp films and am fully aware of the dangers of excessive use of nuts but i have acquired a 25 kg sack of good quality ones and was contemplating using some for barbel in the summer as an experiment which i probably will do just to satisfy my enquiring mind , i know maples chickpeas and other particles work just curious about peanuts

Many years ago on this forum, I asked a similar question with regards to tigers for barbel, the responses were not encouraging, but peanuts were given a positive nod by some, worth a try, but do not feed heavily, they are very filling, one fish at a time rather than going for the big hit! At the time, we were thinking about using the new wonder carp bait for barbel, halibut pellets, we all know how that went!!!!! Give them a go.
peter

You could also try grinding some prepared ones up to a powder and mixing it with your groudbait

Back