• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Paul boote barbel quiver rods

Peter T Thomas

Hi anyone on here know if Paul boote is still around he used to build rods for Graham Philips .
I need a decent rod builder to refurbish a pair of rods I have .regards Peter

Hi anyone on here know if Paul boote is still around he used to build rods for Graham Philips .
I need a decent rod builder to refurbish a pair of rods I have .regards Peter
I think Paul Boote passed the Graham Phillips banner to Nick Whip but as to whether either still build rods I've no idea. There will be plenty of recommendations for rod builders forthcoming I'm sure.

I had 3 rods direct from PB in the mid 80’s and got to know him a bit.

My understanding is that he fell out of love for rod building - hence selling the business and the brand to Nicholas Whipp.

If you tell us where you live I’m sure somebody will recommend a decent rod builder who is local to you.

Here is the thing with rod building I find. I have several rods from the Paul Boote/Graham Philips/Nicholas Whip stable and each of them are exceptional in what they have been marketed for - unparalleled I would say.
You could quite possibly go to any number of rod builders that just wouldn't even have any knowledge of that blank, and so are a little limited in experience.

Here is the thing with rod building I find. I have several rods from the Paul Boote/Graham Philips/Nicholas Whip stable and each of them are exceptional in what they have been marketed for - unparalleled I would say.
You could quite possibly go to any number of rod builders that just wouldn't even have any knowledge of that blank, and so are a little limited in experience.
You don’t need the historic knowledge of the blanks to perform a perfect refurbishment
I could think of loads of builders that would get those back to every bit as good as original.
Mark Tunley didn’t build the normark rods but he’s been used by some very serious collectors to refurbish them in the past and his work is every bit as good as the original builds.

Interesting conversation as I have at least 8 rods from as Damian put it the Philips/Boote/ Whipp stable.
I have a 12' Niicolas Whipp Rod which states in gold transfer "B.C. Special" and just wondered if the B.C. was someone's initials
or something else. Any thoughts?

Depending where you based. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Mark Tunley.
Outstanding workmanship and a really nice guy.

Depending where you based. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Mark Tunley.
Outstanding workmanship and a really nice guy.
Mark wont touch em. He’s not interested in refurbs and restoring etc any more.
I’m sure if Pete stripped them himself completely back to bare blank and gave them to mark to build on, then he probably would as it’s no different to a new build.

Mark wont touch em. He’s not interested in refurbs and restoring etc any more.
I’m sure if Pete stripped them himself completely back to bare blank and gave them to mark to build on, then he probably would as it’s no different to a new build.
Hi Richard
Just seen that on his website. Thanks for clarifying.

Back