• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Paste Help

Stephen Scaysbrook

Hello All
I'm tryong to make paste from neat fishmeal but it's not binding well enough although I'm using eggs to mix it.
Can any one tell me what I need to add to make it bind. I want to wrap it round my pellet hook bait and also make a small stringer but it won't stick to eaither the pellet or the pva tape.
Thanks

Ive just bought a small bag of fibre paste and am going to experiment with that. I'm trying water mixes rather than egg at the moment and whilst it works fine in slower currents it soon comes off in faster water.

By "fishmeal"...if you mean that which halibut pellets etc are made from, try grinding it finely. I use a coffee grinder then add hot water, then a little oil. There's often a resistance from fish meal to adsorb water onto its surface, as usually the water has to replace an oil..so hard kneading/rolling may be necessary. Pity one can't use surfactants, but don't reckon the barbel would appreciate. There's always lecithin as a last resort though.

Bait tec do small bags of pure fish meal for the carp match guys, makes a nice paste and very pungent, just add water. That's the same as I do if I liquidise pellets in a food processor. Patience is the key as it's been said as the oil slows the absorbance down. There's no rocket science in it and no need for eggs.

If you need a really tuff paste, buy a block of 'Jus Rol' short crust pastry from Tesco, snap a piece off, roll into a ball and keep kneading fishmeal into it bit by bit untill it feels right. Experiment by using various amounts of fishmeal, using good old trial and error untill you get it right for the current speed at your venue.

Cheers, Dave.

Perhaps key could be to add very hot water to displace any oil ?
Or soak pellets ,maybe overnight, to a mush then nead.

Yep, and microwaving helps. But THE most important factor, as in most 'dispersions' (and that's what we're talking about here) is particle size. This is where something like a coffee grinder comes into its own. With fishmeal the chances are that not much liquid will be absorbed INTO the particles, just adsorbed ONTO the particles surface..and that's why particle size is of supreme importance. Grind it down and a smooth and stable paste will result (and the solubility of your paste can be altered by the oil:water ratio of the liquid part of your paste). High oil = low solubility Low oil = more soluable, useful in winter (when water is colder)

Yep, and microwaving helps. But THE most important factor, as in most 'dispersions' (and that's what we're talking about here) is particle size. This is where something like a coffee grinder comes into its own. With fishmeal the chances are that not much liquid will be absorbed INTO the particles, just adsorbed ONTO the particles surface..and that's why particle size is of supreme importance. Grind it down and a smooth and stable paste will result (and the solubility of your paste can be altered by the oil:water ratio of the liquid part of your paste). High oil = low solubility Low oil = more soluable, useful in winter (when water is colder)

Very impressive, a bit of applied science with the ad and ab. Top post.

The stickiest paste I ever made had some crushed hemp in it in addition to the ground halibut pellets. No egg. I do just use it as added attractant moulded round a pellet though.

ground hemp in paste.

The stickiest paste I ever made had some crushed hemp in it in addition to the ground halibut pellets. No egg. I do just use it as added attractant moulded round a pellet though.

Good tip that Tim I am having trouble getting mine to stick round my pellet hook bait, surely someone has the perfect recipe;)
Although It all depends what you are trying to achieve:D

300 gm semolina
200 gm whole egg powder
500 gm of just about anything you fancy
Add eggs and mix

That should do it !

paste

300 gm semolina
200 gm whole egg powder
500 gm of just about anything you fancy
Add eggs and mix

That should do it !

Thanks Simon will give It a try hope those Derwent barbel will appreciate It,I havent added to my tally after two more trips in the swim I caught "the one" In the other week could be a long hard slog.
Thinking I will use ground elips pellets for my 500gm of anything I fancy.

Back