• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Paint

Chris Thomson

Hi, im doing up an old allcocks aerial c815 and was wondering what the best paint to use after ive stripped the old stuff off, thanks

Just make sure you prime and flat it really well, then use a good quality outdoor topcoat enamel (not lacquer) e.g. Hamerite

If it's available in sprayable enamel. Otherwise use brush..it should flow to mirror flat finish anyway. Practise first on something of no value.

I use Plasticote which is available in almost any colour you can think of. I have some items which are permanently outside and still look great after a couple of years. So it should be fine for a reel.

I would be tempted to restore it mechanically and leave the paint alone if it was mine, but each to their own.
You could spray it with car paint from rattle cans using the recommended primer, put on in thin coats it should give a good durable finish.
Ask at your local motor factors or even Halfords for advise on primers and curing times.

Following on from my last post, have you considered having the reel powder coated. The powder coaters will take it back to bare metal, prime / seal and finish it in just about any colour you would require.
The finish would be better and more durable than paint and I'm sure the cost wouldn't be ridiculous either.

Agree , powder coating is the way forward .With brushes and spray cans you have to be very very thorough with the prep and execution to get a blemish free finish .

if you do decide to spray it I'd recommend using some etch primer as a basecoat, will make any chance of flaking off less likely. You can get it from any auto paint place. I think a Saab `anthracite` would look good.

Back