• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Pafex Landing Net by Chris Netto (Felix333)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Williams

Pafex Landing Net by Chris Netto (Felix333)

Introduction

I first saw the Pafex flip up landing net in an advert carried in CF and it caught my attention immediately as I aim to do a bit more roaming next year and my current choice of landing net handles are not ideal.

pafexln.jpg

The Complete Pafex Landing Net

I ordered the net in between Xmas and New Year and it was delivered as requested early January.

To be brutally honest my first impression was not great. The net material was different to that shown in the advert and it was tangled up around the tip of one of the arms. There was nothing to keep the net in place around the net head, the tips of the arms stood proud of the leading edge, and despite some input from the distributor by phone, which did help me free it up, it just didn't work. To their credit the distributor immediately asked for the net to be returned at their costs and a replacement was organised.

This arrived two weeks later and thankfully was much better. A new mesh was supplied, which was softer and in position. The original net had come attached to a slip of cardboard, on which brief instructions were printed, but the replacement did not have this.

General Comments

I have to say I really like the twist lock handle and if the net head was detachable with a standard thread, I would like it even more. The handle has a chunky feel and a rubber grip at the end. Unlike my twist and lock aluminium 3-piece handle, I never got it stuck when trying to unscrew and release it. The flip head on the replacement works consistently although some care is needed when folding the mesh for transport as this could save valuable minutes on the bank if you do tangle. To collapse the net head you have to slide back a small metal catch on the 'spreader block equivalent'.

mech1.jpg
mech2.jpg

Views of the Pafex Landing Net Head Mechanism

The net head arms are light and seem strong but as the (first) accompanying instructions said, it is not for direct lifting, ie you should ensnare and then draw the net along the plane of the handle rather than lift (nothing new there).

The mesh is soft although I have seen more fish friendly materials, but as the weave is wide, it is useful in a flow and if you fish for pike using trebles, it will not get snagged as easily, making a particularly good net if you predator fish from a boat.

net.jpg
arm.jpg

Net Material and Top Arm Detail

Pafex in use:

Strapped 'Rambo' style to your back the net is light and very easy to use. My fishing has been limited but so far it has swallowed medium chub and barbel (4-6lbs) and the occasional low-double figure carp with ease. Although I was a little concerned with the arms they stood up to use, but you should remember that their strength is designed for loading in the vertical plain.

The large mesh puts up little in the way of resistance in the water, which coupled with its overall light weight, makes it very useful for one handed use. As long as there is not a huge drop to the water it is fine but as soon as you get to more elevated swims you could find it lacking. That said if you are wading or at water level plus 2 feet this is a capable bit of kit.

The net folds easily with firm backward pressure from your thumb applied to the catch, (Fig 5). I have taken to enclosing the net head in a thick plastic sleeve which helps prevent it from tangling or getting in the way when transporting, and dripping when going home. It may be I can locate a suitable stink bag which would be extremely helpful for my storage issues.

Some drawbacks:

An extra foot or two on the length of the handle would be better, and when I spoke to the distributor Fordham and Wakefield, they did say they were considering putting this to the manufacturer - so look out for developments. The net is held in position on the arms by what appears to be green electrical ties, which while functional, certainly raised the question of quality in my mind.
As the net and handle are one complete piece, and I tend to hang used nets outdoors in the garden to allow them to de-stink, it means I will have to find an alternative place to hang it as it would be easy for someone to steal the whole thing. Of course this then does become a storage issue.

Vital statistics:

Model: EP245
Approx dimensions:
Weight: 1lb 12oz Mesh drop: 27" Length folded: 33" Width folded: 4.5" Width opened 32" Handle normal inc net: 60.5" Handle extended inc net: 87"
Instructions: sometimes!
Cost: �41.00 plus �8.50 delivery.
Has a two year manufacturer guarantee
Supplier: Fordham and Wakefield 01892 863153
Value for money: 6.5-7/10
Ease of use (if net attached to frame) 8/10

Would I buy another? - not sure as from my recent research on fly fishing there seems to be a number of alternatives.

Chris Netto (Felix333)

March 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back